The Wofford Terriers (19-9, 10-5 SoCon) welcome the UNCG Spartans (21-7, 12-3 SoCon) in a matchup that pits outstanding offense against tremendous defense. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 137.5 points with UNCG set as a 2-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 20, 2018.
UNCG Spartans at Wofford Terriers ATS Preview
In the Spartans last matchup, they lost a tough one against the Mercer Bears, 77-74. UNCG’s Demetrius Troy had 10 points and 10 assists in the contest. Mercer did a fantastic job of making free throws (24-29; 82.8 percent). UNCG, on the other hand, held the Bears to an offensive rebounding percentage of 10.0 (below their season average of 32.9).
The Terriers come in on a high note after topping the Chattanooga Mocs in their last contest, 74-64. Wofford was lifted by Fletcher Magee, who was the games high scorer with 45 points on 17-for-26 shooting. The Terriers, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.567, had an extraordinary mark of 0.615 and had a turnover percentage of 13.6 (better than their season average of 16.8).
The game should be a battle of strength against strength as the high-octane offense of Wofford (44th in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 113.1) takes on the top-notch defense of UNCG (sixth in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 92.9). Furthermore, the Spartans rank 45th in offensive rebounding percentage (33.7 percent), while the Terriers rank 45th in defensive rebounding percentage (74.8 percent).
Of UNCG’s 21 games with betting action, 12 have finished under the projected point total, while 11 of Wofford’s 22 games have finished under the O/U total. Both teams have excellent straight up (SU) records (21-7 for UNCG; 19-9 for Wofford), but the Spartans have the advantage against the spread (ATS). UNCG is 15-6 ATS, while the Terriers are 10-11-1.
James Dickey has been exceptional over the last five games for UNCG, averaging 10.4 points, 9.6 rebounds and 2.2 blocks per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 138 points, just over the projected point total of 135.5. The Spartans won 71-67, but were unable to cover as 6-point favorites. UNCG’s 0.231 free throw rate was their biggest advantage over Wofford, who had a mark of 0.093. Francis Alonso was the games leading scorer with 26 points.
UNCG Spartans at Wofford Terriers Prediction
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – UNCG, ATS Winner – UNCG, O/U – Under
- The Spartans rank 15th in steals per game (8.1) while the Terriers rank 126th in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- UNCG is 15th in the nation with 2.4 blocks allowed per game while Wofford is 32nd with 2.6 blocks allowed per game.
- UNCG is 7-4 ATS on the road, while Wofford is 4-5-1 ATS at home.
- The total has gone over in 5 of the Terriers 10 home games, while 6 of the Spartans 11 road games have gone over.
- UNCG ranks 24th in three pointers attempted per game (26.9) while Wofford ranks 202nd in three pointers allowed per game (23.2).
- The Spartans rank eighth in assists allowed per game (10.0) while the Terriers rank 166th (14.0).
- UNCG ranks 90th in rebounds per game (36.8) while Wofford ranks 238th (33.0).
- Wofford is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UNCG is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs.
- The Terriers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.2, down from 5.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 75.0 points per game (1.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 62.8 points per game (0.4 below their season average).