It will be a showdown between two stifling defenses when the Towson Tigers (4-5) clash against the UMBC Retrievers (5-5) at SECU Arena. The game begins at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, December 10, 2019.
UMBC Retrievers at Towson Tigers ATS Odds
Both teams fell in their last matchup. The Tigers were beaten by the Vermont Catamounts, 55-38, while the Retrievers lost a close one to the Saint Francis U Red Flash, 63-60.
UMBC held Saint Francis U to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.7 (below their season average of 32.4) while Towson forced Vermont into a turnover percentage of 20.8 (above their season average of 14.5). Towson was lifted by Nakye Sanders, who contributed eight points and eight rebounds. Meanwhile, L.J. Owens fueled UMBC with 17 points.
The Tigers won the lone game between these two teams last year, 80-76. Towson was effective at getting and making free throws. The Tigers made 23 of their 28 free throws (82.1 percent), while the Retrievers were just 11-22 (50.0 percent). This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
Points could be at a premium in this showdown between a pair of the nation’s top defenses. Towson ranks 55th in defensive efficiency (92.6) and UMBC is 51st (92.1).
UMBC Retrievers vs. Towson Tigers Odds Pick
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Towson, ATS Winner – Towson, O/U – Under
- Towson ranks 18th in steals allowed per game (5.0) while UMBC ranks 197th (8.0).
- The Retrievers rank 77th in assists per game (14.4) while the Tigers rank 78th in assists allowed per game (11.8).
- The Retrievers rank 92nd in three pointers attempted per game (24.0) while the Tigers rank 186th in three pointers allowed per game (23.4).
- UMBC averages 36.3 rebounds per game, which ranks 113th in the nation. Towson ranks 132nd in rebounds allowed per game (34.8).
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 52.6 points per game (10.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 50.8 points per game (5.8 below their season average).
- The Retrievers have been outscored by an average of 5.8 points in their last five games. On the season, UMBC has defeated opponents by an average of 7.0 points.