The UMBC Retrievers (6-4) look to put an end to the seven-game winning streak of Towson when they head to SECU Arena to clash against the Tigers (7-1). Action begins at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 9, 2017.
UMBC Retrievers vs. Towson Tigers ATS Preview
In the Retrievers last outing, they had no trouble getting past the Delaware State Hornets, 81-60. Jairus Lyles was the games leading scorer with 21 points on 6-for-15 shooting. UMBC dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a turnover percentage of 13.3 (better than their season average of 17.4) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.621 (above their season average of 0.568). Delaware State was 20.2 and 0.482, respectively, for those same stats.
The Tigers hope to keep it rolling after defeating the Morgan State Bears in their last contest, 82-78. With 25 points on 8-for-14 shooting, Zane Martin was the games leading scorer. The Tigers, who came into the game averaging an effective field goal percentage of 0.559, had a ridiculous mark of 0.600 and had a free throw rate of 0.291 (above their season average of 0.268).
The high-octane offense of Towson will battle against the mid-tier defense of UMBC. Since last season, the Tigers rank 91st in offensive efficiency, while the Retrievers are 248th in defensive efficiency. The Tigers should have the advantage on that end of the court.
Joe Sherburne has been playing at a high level over the last five games for UMBC, averaging 17.2 points and 1.2 steals per game.
The Tigers won the sole contest against the Retrievers last season, 73-72. Towson’s free throw rate was their largest advantage over UMBC. The Tigers had a rate of 0.291, while the Retrievers posted a mark of 0.140.
UMBC Retrievers at Towson Tigers Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UMBC, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Tigers rank 100th in blocks per game (3.8) while the Retrievers rank 245th (2.3).
- Towson averages 39.7 rebounds per game, which ranks 25th in the nation. UMBC ranks 121st in rebounds allowed per game (35.2).
- UMBC ranks eighth in three pointers attempted per game (25.7) while Towson ranks 306th (16.2).
- The Retrievers rank 18th in assists per game (15.4) while the Tigers rank 283rd (11.3).
- Towson ranks 73rd in steals allowed per game (5.5) while UMBC ranks 261st (6.0).