The UMBC Retrievers (8-5) look to put an end to the five-game winning streak of Maryland when they head to Xfinity Center to take on the Terrapins (11-3). Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Friday, December 29, 2017.
UMBC Retrievers at Maryland Terrapins Free Preview
The Retrievers won a close one over the Northern Kentucky Norse in their last outing, 76-75. Jairus Lyles was the top scorer from either team with 31 points on 9-for-21 shooting. UMBC played a nearly flawless game. They had a turnover percentage of 11.6 (better than their season average of 16.6) and a free throw rate of 0.267 (above their season average of 0.241). Northern Kentucky was 16.0 and 0.214, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Terrapins last matchup, they blew out the Fairleigh Dickinson Knights, 75-50. Maryland rallied around Kevin Huerter, who had 12 points, 15 rebounds and eight assists. Maryland dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.400 (above their season average of 0.312) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.550 (below their season average of 0.577). For those same stats, Fairleigh Dickinson was 0.141 and 0.282, respectively.
The prolific offense of Maryland (51st in the NCAA with an offensive efficiency of 114.4) will square off against the bottom-tier defense of UMBC (274th in the nation with a defensive efficiency of 107.1). The Terrapins should have the advantage on that side of the ball.
Of UMBC’s 1 games that accepted bets, one have finished over the projected point total, while 4 of Maryland’s 8 games have finished over the projected point total. The Terrapins come into this game with a sizable advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 11-3 SU and 5-4-1 ATS, while the Retrievers are 8-5 SU and 1-0 ATS.
Huerter has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Maryland, averaging 16.4 points per game.
UMBC Retrievers vs. Maryland Terrapins ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Maryland, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Over
- The Terrapins rank seventh in rebounds allowed per game (29.4) while the Retrievers rank 162nd (35.5).
- UMBC ranks 87th in steals per game (6.8) while Maryland ranks 178th in steals allowed per game (8.6).
- Maryland ranks 23rd in blocks per game (5.6) while UMBC ranks 191st (2.1).
- The Retrievers rank 14th in three pointers attempted per game (29.2) while the Terrapins rank 180th (20.7).
- Maryland ranks 22nd in assists allowed per game (10.6) while UMBC ranks 184th (14.8).
- The Terrapins average margin of victory in their last five games has been 18.0, up from 15.1 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Retrievers have scored an average of 80.2 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (4.8 below their season average).