The UIW Cardinals (6-9, 1-1 SthLnd) travel to Johnson Coliseum to clash against the Sam Houston State Bearkats (7-8, 2-0 SthLnd). The Cardinals can end a five-game road losing streak. The game starts at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
UIW Cardinals vs. Sam Houston State Bearkats Betting Odds
Both teams defeated their last opponent. The Bearkats defeated the Central Arkansas Bears 78-69, while the Cardinals beat the Nicholls Colonels 65-58.
UIW played a flawless game. They had a free throw rate of 0.131 (matching their season average) and a turnover percentage of 15.7 (better than their season average of 20.6). Nicholls put up marks of 0.063 and 17.5, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Sam Houston State’s 12.9 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over Central Arkansas, who had a rate of 21.3. The Bearkats’ mark was better than their season average of 15.5. Sam Houston State’s Zach Nutall had a good outing, finishing with 18 points and six rebounds. Meanwhile, Antoine Smith Jr. played a pivotal role for UIW with 17 points and five rebounds.
The Bearkats won the only game between these two teams last year, 85-74. Sam Houston State’s rebounding was their biggest advantage. The Bearkats had more offensive rebounds (11 vs. six), defensive rebounds (22 vs. 19) and total rebounds (33 vs. 25). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Kai Mitchell has taken his game to another level recently for Sam Houston State, averaging 12 points,8.6 rebounds,1.2 steals,1.2 blocks over the last five games.
This has potential to be a sloppy game for the offense of UIW. UIW ranks 327th in the NCAA in ball protection (turnover percentage of 22.5 percent), while the disruptive defense of Sam Houston State forces the 43rd-most turnovers in the NCAA (23.0 percent).
UIW at Sam Houston State Free Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Sam Houston State, O/U – Under
- Sam Houston State ranks 72nd in three pointers attempted per game (24.9) while UIW ranks 269th (15.1).
- The Bearkats rank 69th in steals per game (7.2) while the Cardinals rank 111th in steals allowed per game (6.6).
- The Bearkats rank 105th in rebounds per game (36.9) while the Cardinals rank 258th (28.0).
- Sam Houston State averages 15.3 assists per game, which ranks 64th in the country. UIW ranks 136th in assists allowed per game (13.5).
- The Cardinals’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 12.2, up from 7.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Bearkats have scored an average of 78.0 points per game (5.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 66.6 points per game (3.1 below their season average).