The UC Riverside Highlanders (5-9) can end a seven-game road losing streak when they go head-to-head with the Cal State Fullerton Titans (7-5) at Titan Gym. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 141 points with Cal State Fullerton set as an 8-point favorite. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 3, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
UC Riverside Highlanders at Cal State Fullerton Titans Odds Preview
The Highlanders got blown out by the Seattle Redhawks in their last game, 95-71. With 16 points on 5-for-8 shooting, Chance Murray led UC Riverside in scoring. Seattle made 17 of their 27 three pointers (63.0 percent). UC Riverside, meanwhile, had an offensive rebounding percentage of 41.0 (above their season average of 28.3).
In the Titans last matchup, they were dismantled by the Utah Valley Wolverines, 87-78. With 15 points and seven rebounds, Kyle Allman Jr. put together a solid performance for Cal State Fullerton. Utah Valley had a turnover percentage of 12.7 (better than their season average of 17.9). Cal State Fullerton, on the other hand, did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the charity stripe (39-47; 83.0 percent).
Cal State Fullerton figures to have the advantage on the defensive side of the ball. The Titans currently rank 77th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.472), while UC Riverside is 317th in effective field goal percentage (0.467).
Games involving these teams have typically finished under the projected point total. UC Riverside games have finished under 66.7 percent of the time, while Cal State Fullerton games have gone under 62.5 percent of the time. The Titans hold a substantial advantage in both straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records. They are 7-5 SU and 6-2 ATS, while the Highlanders are 5-9 SU and 4-5 ATS.
Khalil Ahmad has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Cal State Fullerton, averaging 21.8 points and 1.8 steals per game.
This is the first time these teams will meet this year, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent contest, the Titans won 56-55. The Titans played a nearly perfect game. They had a turnover percentage of 18.2 and a free throw rate of 0.197. For those same stats, the Highlanders were 27.1 and 0.154, respectively.
UC Riverside Highlanders at Cal State Fullerton Titans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Cal State Fullerton, ATS Winner – Cal State Fullerton, O/U – Under
- The Highlanders rank 111th in blocks per game (3.3) while the Titans rank 114th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- UC Riverside is 1-4 ATS on the road, while Cal State Fullerton is 2-0 ATS at home.
- The Highlanders have 3 unders and 2 overs in 5 road games.
- The Titans have gone under in all 2 of their home games.
- Cal State Fullerton ranks 99th in rebounds allowed per game (34.2) while UC Riverside ranks 228th (38.9).
- The Titans rank 128th in three pointers allowed per game (21.9) while the Highlanders rank 236th (25.4).
- Cal State Fullerton ranks 102nd in steals per game (6.5) while UC Riverside ranks 141st in steals allowed per game (7.1).
- Cal State Fullerton is 3-0 ATS with 3 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, UC Riverside is 1-1 ATS with 1 over and 1 under.
- The Titans average margin of victory in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 2.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Highlanders have scored an average of 75.6 points per game (7.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.6 points per game (2.8 above their season average).