The UC Riverside Highlanders (5-10, 0-1 BigWst) will attempt to snap their eight-game road losing streak when they square off with the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos (11-4, 0-1 BigWst), who look to continue their seven-game home winning streak. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 142.5 points with UC Santa Barbara opening as a 12-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
UC Riverside Highlanders vs. UC Santa Barbara Gauchos Free Preview
In the Highlanders last contest, they lost a close one to the Cal State Fullerton Titans, 68-65. DJ Sylvester had a solid game for UC Riverside, leading both teams in scoring with 24 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Cal State Fullerton had an effective field goal percentage of 0.570 (above their season average of 0.499). UC Riverside, meanwhile, had a turnover percentage of 9.5 (better than their season average of 18.9).
The Gauchos are hoping for a better outcome after their 80-79 loss to the Cal Poly Mustangs in their last game. Jalen Canty was UC Santa Barbara’s high scorer with 21 points on 9-for-13 shooting. Cal Poly had a turnover percentage of 7.4 (better than their season average of 15.3). UC Santa Barbara, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (15-19; 78.9 percent).
UC Riverside could have a tough time creating turnovers. UC Santa Barbara ranks 31st in the nation at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.3 percent), while UC Riverside forces the 153rd-most turnovers (20.0 percent).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. The Gauchos won the most recent game 68-61. The Gauchos dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.333 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.589. The Highlanders had marks of 0.172 and 0.440, respectively, for those same stats.
UC Riverside Highlanders vs. UC Santa Barbara Gauchos Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UC Santa Barbara, ATS Winner – UC Riverside, O/U – Over
- The Gauchos rank 181st in three pointers attempted per game (20.8) while the Highlanders rank 261st (16.9).
- UC Santa Barbara ranks 41st in blocks allowed per game (2.7) while UC Riverside ranks 107th (3.7).
- UC Santa Barbara ranks 81st in rebounds per game (38.1) while UC Riverside ranks 228th in rebounds allowed per game (38.8).
- The Gauchos rank 12th in steals allowed per game (4.6) while the Highlanders rank 133rd (6.9).
- UC Santa Barbara ranks 74th in assists per game (15.5) while UC Riverside ranks 155th in assists allowed per game (14.2).
- The Gauchos average margin of victory in their last five games has been 9.6, up from 6.9 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Highlanders have scored an average of 76.4 points per game (8.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.8 points per game (1.2 above their season average).