The Long Beach State 49ers (14-17, 8-7 BigWst) and UC Riverside Highlanders (9-20, 4-11 BigWst) will face off at The Walter Pyramid to bring the regular season to a close. Action starts at 3 p.m. ET on Saturday, March 3, 2018.
UC Riverside Highlanders vs. Long Beach State 49ers Free Preview
In the Highlanders last contest, they defeated the Cal Poly Mustangs, 72-63. Dikymbe Martin was the games high scorer with 20 points on 5-for-14 shooting. UC Riverside dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an absurdly low turnover percentage of 6.3 (better than their season average of 17.7) and a free throw rate of 0.246 (above their season average of 0.231). Cal Poly recorded marks of 16.9 and 0.211, respectively, for those same stats.
The 49ers will look to maintain momentum after just getting past the UC Santa Barbara Gauchos in their last game, 70-69. With 20 points on 8-for-11 shooting, Deishuan Booker led Long Beach State in scoring. The 49ers had a ridiculous offensive rebounding percentage of 34.5 (above their season average of 32.3) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.602 (above their season average of 0.503).
Long Beach State might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they face off against one of the nations best defenses. UC Riverside ranks 100th in defensive efficiency, while the 49ers rank 205th in offensive efficiency.
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Highlanders, it’s been Chance Murray, who has averaged 16.0 points, 6.0 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 3.2 steals, while the 49ers have received solid contributions from Gabe Levin (25.2 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.4 blocks).
These teams have already met once this season. The 49ers won 75-68. The 49ers dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 56.1 and a ridiculous free throw rate of 0.414. For those same stats, the Highlanders put up marks of 27.9 and 0.328, respectively. Levin was the game’s leading scorer with 18 points.
UC Riverside Highlanders vs. Long Beach State 49ers Betting Prediction
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – UC Riverside, ATS Winner – UC Riverside, O/U – Over
- The Highlanders rank 246th in three pointers attempted per game (19.2) while the 49ers rank 291st (17.1).
- Long Beach State averages 3.7 blocks per game, which ranks 81st in the nation. UC Riverside ranks 117th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- Long Beach State ranks 125th in rebounds per game (35.9) while UC Riverside ranks 264th in rebounds allowed per game (38.7).
- The Highlanders rank 136th in assists allowed per game (13.4) while the 49ers rank 232nd (15.3).
- UC Riverside ranks 130th in steals per game (6.1) while Long Beach State ranks 216th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- The 49ers average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 2.2, down from 3.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Highlanders have scored an average of 68.4 points per game (2.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.6 points per game (3.9 below their season average).