The South Dakota State Jackrabbits and UC Irvine Anteaters will battle at Frost Arena to get their seasons going. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 143.5 points with South Dakota State set as a 6.5-point favorite. Action gets underway at 9:15 p.m. ET on Friday, November 10, 2017.
UC Irvine Anteaters at South Dakota State Jackrabbits ATS Preview
South Dakota State was a 16 seed in the tournament last season and was defeated in the First Round by the Gonzaga Bulldogs. The Jackrabbits went 18-16 in the regular season. Meanwhile, UC Irvine was unable reach the tournament following a 21-14 regular season campaign.
This matchup pits one of the nation’s top offenses against one of its elite defensesLast season, South Dakota State ranked 57th in effective field goal percentage (0.537), while UC Irvine was fifth in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.438). Furthermore, the Anteaters, who ranked 316th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.203), could struggle to get to the line against the Jackrabbits, who ranked 22nd in opponents’ FTA rate (0.188).
The Anteaters had a respectable 21-14 straight up (SU) record last season, but were just 17-15-1 against the spread (ATS). Games involving UC Irvine had a slight tendency to go under the projected point total (51.5 percent).
Meanwhile, the Jackrabbits owned records of 18-16 SU and 15-17 ATS last season. Unlike UC Irvine, South Dakota State games finished over the O/U total 59.4 percent of the time.
The Anteaters won both meetings against the Jackrabbits last season. In the most recent contest, UC Irvine won 63-52. UC Irvine out-rebounded South Dakota State. The Anteaters had more offensive rebounds (15 vs. nine), defensive rebounds (33 vs. 26) and total rebounds (48 vs. 35).
UC Irvine Anteaters at South Dakota State Jackrabbits Odds Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – UC Irvine, ATS Winner – UC Irvine, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Anteaters rank 63rd in blocks per game (4.3) while the Jackrabbits rank 239th (2.4).
- South Dakota State ranks 239th in steals per game (5.1) while UC Irvine ranks 259th (4.9).
- UC Irvine ranks 57th in three pointers allowed per game (18.9) while South Dakota State ranks 315th (28.3).
- The Anteaters rank 33rd in assists allowed per game (11.3) while the Jackrabbits rank 246th (14.6).
- UC Irvine ranks 16th in rebounds per game (39.7) while South Dakota State ranks 193rd (35.1).