The UAPB Golden Lions (0-14) will travel to Harrison Complex to meet the Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils (0-13) in their home opener. Tip-off is set for 8:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 1, 2018.
UAPB Golden Lions at Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils ATS Preview
The Golden Lions were beaten by the UT Martin Skyhawks in their last contest, 74-68. Charles Jackson had a good performance for UAPB, contributing 14 points and five assists. UT Martin had an offensive rebounding percentage of 50.0 (above their season average of 32.1). UAPB, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 15.8 (better than their season average of 20.9).
In the Delta Devils last matchup, they were defeated by the UAB Blazers, 74-57. Dante Scott was the top scorer from either team with 17 points on 6-for-16 shooting. UAB was lights out from beyond the arc (10-25; 40.0 percent). Mississippi Valley State, meanwhile, forced the Blazers into a turnover percentage of 23.2 (above their season average of 15.4).
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams go head-to-head. Mississippi Valley State ranks 305th in possessions per game (67.4) and UAPB is 320th (66.8).
Scott has really been playing well over the last five games for Mississippi Valley State, averaging 14.2 points and 5.2 rebounds per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. The Delta Devils won the last contest 88-77. The Delta Devils played a nearly flawless game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 51.6 and a turnover percentage of 20.4. For those same stats, the Golden Lions recorded marks of 27.6 and 24.6, respectively.
UAPB Golden Lions vs. Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Mississippi Valley State, ATS Winner – Mississippi Valley State, O/U – Under
- The Golden Lions rank 74th in steals per game (7.1) while the Delta Devils rank 103rd in steals allowed per game (6.4).
- Mississippi Valley State averages 9.1 assists per game, which ranks 244th in the nation. UAPB ranks 236th in assists allowed per game (17.8).
- UAPB ranks 66th in three pointers allowed per game (20.2) while Mississippi Valley State ranks 229th (25.2).
- The Golden Lions rank ninth in blocks allowed per game (2.0) while the Delta Devils rank 171st (6.2).
- UAPB ranks 209th in rebounds allowed per game (38.1) while Mississippi Valley State ranks 244th (40.3).
- The Delta Devils average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 24.8, up from 23.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Lions have scored an average of 60.2 points per game (1.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 82.0 points per game (4.6 above their season average).