The UAPB Golden Lions (10-19, 10-5 SWAC) look to put an end to the 11-game winning streak of Grambling State when they travel to Assembly Center to clash with the Tigers (15-12, 11-3 SWAC). Action begins at 8:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
UAPB Golden Lions at Grambling State Tigers Betting Preview
The last time the Golden Lions played, they won a close one over the Texas Southern Tigers, 62-61. Martaveous McKnight was UAPB’s high scorer with 16 points on 6-for-9 shooting. UAPB’s 31.0 offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over Texas Southern, who had a mark of 27.3. The Golden Lions mark was above their season average of 23.5, while the Tigers was below the 38.4 mark opponents have averaged against UAPB this season.
The Tigers hope to keep it rolling after beating the Jackson State Tigers in their last outing, 71-64. Grambling State received a boost from Shirmane Thomas, who put up 10 points and eight rebounds. Grambling State knocked down 20 of their 27 free throws (74.1 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.531 (above their season average of 0.464).
It will be a battle of opposite styles as the up-tempo Tigers (ranked 31st in the nation in possessions per game) will look to push the more grind-it-out Golden Lions (272nd in possessions per game).
Ivy Smith Jr. has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Grambling State, averaging 23.2 points, 7.0 rebounds, 5.2 assists and 2.0 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Tigers won 69-68. The Tigers dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.6 and a turnover percentage of 17.6. The Golden Lions had marks of 8.6 and 22.3, respectively, for those same stats. Thomas recorded a double-double with 13 points and 11 rebounds.
UAPB Golden Lions at Grambling State Tigers Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Grambling State, ATS Winner – Grambling State, O/U – Under
- The Golden Lions rank 230th in three pointers attempted per game (19.5) while the Tigers rank 305th (14.8).
- UAPB ranks 226th in assists per game (12.1) while Grambling State ranks 248th (11.4).
- Grambling State ranks 60th in rebounds per game (37.9) while UAPB ranks 294th (28.9).
- The Golden Lions rank second in blocks allowed per game (2.0) while the Tigers rank 176th (4.3).
- Grambling State averages 7.5 steals per game, which ranks 40th in the nation. UAPB ranks 199th in steals allowed per game (7.7).
- The Tigers have outscored opponents by an average of 9.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Grambling State has lost by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Golden Lions have scored an average of 61.2 points per game (3.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 71.2 points per game (1.3 below their season average).