It will be a clash between two tremendous defenses when the Southern Miss Golden Eagles (9-7, 1-3 CUSA) meet the UAB Blazers (10-6, 2-1 CUSA) at Reed Green Coliseum. The game gets underway at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
UAB Blazers at Southern Miss Golden Eagles Betting Odds
In their last outing, the Golden Eagles defeated the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders, 77-70, while the Blazers lost to the Louisiana Tech Bulldogs, 64-53.
Southern Miss played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 25.8 (above their season average of 25.4) and a turnover percentage of 15.7 (worse than their season average of 12.6). Middle Tennessee was 16.1 and 16.5, respectively, for those same stats. UAB, meanwhile, held Louisiana Tech to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 (below their season average of 32.9). Southern Miss was led by Tyree Griffin, who contributed 21 points and seven assists. Jalen Perry, meanwhile led the way for UAB, putting up 13 points and nine rebounds.
The Blazers dominated this series last year, winning both games. In the last game, UAB won 87-69. One of UAB’s biggest advantages was their ability to convert at the free throw line. They were 18-21 (85.7 percent), while the Golden Eagles were just 9-13 (69.2 percent). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Half-court execution will be critical when two of the country’s slowest-paced teams clash. Southern Miss currently ranks 269th in possessions per game (68.2) and UAB is 307th (67.1). Furthermore, the Blazers, who rank 320th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.180), could struggle to get to the line against the Golden Eagles, who rank 30th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.176).
UAB Blazers at Southern Miss Golden Eagles Free Pick
Free Pick: SU Winner – Southern Miss, ATS Winner – UAB, O/U – Over
- UAB ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (31.0) while Southern Miss ranks 193rd (37.0).
- The Golden Eagles rank 32nd in steals per game (8.2) while the Blazers rank 95th (6.8).
- The Golden Eagles rank 28th in assists per game (16.7) while the Blazers rank 184th (12.4).
- UAB ranks 134th in three pointers allowed per game (22.8) while Southern Miss ranks 230th (26.3).
- During their last five games, the Blazers have scored an average of 70.4 points per game (0.1 above their season average) and allowed an average of 64.0 points per game (2.1 below their season average).
- The Golden Eagles have been outscored by an average of 2.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Southern Miss has defeated opponents by an average of 8.2 points.