Don’t expect a fast-paced game when the Tulsa Golden Hurricane (10-3) visit 19th-ranked Houston to take on the Cougars (13-0). Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 2, 2019, and can be seen on ESPN 3.
Tulsa Golden Hurricane vs. Houston Cougars ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Cougars won big over the Alabama A&M Bulldogs 101-54, while the Golden Hurricane beat the Alcorn State Braves 73-56.
Tulsa dominated every stat category in the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.408 and a turnover percentage of 17.1. Alcorn State recorded marks of 0.184 and 25.9, respectively, for those same stats. The Cougars, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.197 vs. 0.056) and had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (33.3 vs. 12.1). Armoni Brooks played well for Houston with 24 points. Meanwhile, Tulsa rallied around Sterling Taplin, who recorded 16 points and five assists.
The Cougars won the only contest between these two teams last season, 104-71. Houston launched 34 three pointers, making 18 of them (52.9 percent), while Tulsa was 5-19 (26.3 percent). This is the first time these teams will clash this year.
Corey Davis Jr. has been on fire recently for Houston, averaging 0 points over the last five games.
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the nation’s slowest-paced teams clash. Houston ranks 307th in possessions per game (67.2) and Tulsa is 299th (67.5). Additionally, the Golden Hurricane rank 21st in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.311), while the Cougars rank 52nd in opponents’ FTA rate (0.187).
Tulsa Golden Hurricane at Houston Cougars ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Houston, ATS Winner – Tulsa, O/U – Over
- Houston ranks 45th in three pointers attempted per game (26.4) while Tulsa ranks 215th (19.6).
- The Cougars rank 17th in assists allowed per game (10.1) while the Golden Hurricane rank 103rd (12.9).
- The Cougars rank eighth in rebounds per game (42.5) while the Golden Hurricane rank 169th (35.2).
- Houston ranks 24th in blocks per game (4.9) while Tulsa ranks 151st (2.5).
- During their last five games, the Golden Hurricane have scored an average of 80.6 points per game (8.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.2 points per game (5.3 above their season average).
- The Cougars’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 20.8, up from 16.4 for the season.