The Tulsa Golden Hurricane (11-5, 1-2 AAC) will be at Moody Coliseum to challenge the SMU Mustangs (10-5, 2-1 AAC) in an AAC matchup. Action gets underway at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019, and can be seen on ESPNU.
Tulsa Golden Hurricane vs. SMU Mustangs ATS Odds
Both teams fell in their last outing. The Mustangs fell to the Connecticut Huskies, 76-64, while the Golden Hurricane were defeated by the Cincinnati Bearcats, 70-65.
Tulsa had a much better free throw rate (0.283 vs. 0.108) while SMU had an offensive rebounding percentage of 53.5 (above their season average of 37.2). SMU was led by Jimmy Whitt Jr., who contributed 20 points and 10 rebounds. DaQuan Jeffries, meanwhile was a key piece for Tulsa with 14 points.
The Golden Hurricane won the lone contest between these two teams last season, 76-67. Tulsa was successful at getting and making free throws. The Golden Hurricane made 23 of their 28 free throws (82.1 percent), while the Mustangs were just 5-9 (55.6 percent). This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Half-court execution will be of utmost importance when two of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams clash. SMU currently ranks 345th in possessions per game (65.6) and Tulsa is 273rd (68.2). Furthermore, the Golden Hurricane, who rank seventh in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.329), could get to the line a ton against the Mustangs, who rank 260th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.255).
Tulsa Golden Hurricane at SMU Mustangs Free Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Tulsa, ATS Winner – SMU, O/U – Under
- SMU ranks 20th in rebounds allowed per game (31.0) while Tulsa ranks 178th (36.4).
- The Mustangs average 14.5 assists per game, which ranks 91st in the nation. The Golden Hurricane rank 114th in assists allowed per game (13.1).
- SMU ranks 50th in blocks allowed per game (2.8) while Tulsa ranks 63rd (2.9).
- The Mustangs rank 113th in three pointers attempted per game (23.5) while the Golden Hurricane rank 231st (19.6).
- SMU ranks 19th in steals allowed per game (4.9) while Tulsa ranks 131st (7.0).
- The Golden Hurricane have been outscored by an average of 1.0 point in their last five games. On the season, Tulsa has defeated opponents by an average of 3.1 points.
- During their last five games, the Mustangs have scored an average of 76.4 points per game (0.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 64.2 points per game (2.9 below their season average).