The Toronto Raptors (5-2) will travel to the Smoothie King Center to meet the New Orleans Pelicans (1-6). The Raptors opened as 2.5-point favorites. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 234 points and it will air on The Sports Network at 8 p.m. ET on Friday, November 8, 2019.
Toronto Raptors at New Orleans Pelicans ATS Odds
Neither team was able to cover in their last matchup. The Raptors (8-point favorites) beat the Sacramento Kings, 124-120, while the Pelicans (3.5-point underdogs) fell to the Brooklyn Nets, 135-125. Both games finished over their projected point totals. The Toronto game finished 25 points over the projected point total of 219, while the New Orleans game went 20.5 points over the projected point total of 239.5.
The Raptors made 24 of their 29 free throws (82.8 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.641 (above their season average of 0.536). New Orleans, meanwhile, forced Brooklyn into a turnover percentage of 18.1 (above the 12.3 mark opponents have averaged against New Orleans this season). New Orleans rallied around Brandon Ingram, who recorded 40 points, five rebounds and five assists. Pascal Siakam played well for Toronto, finishing with 23 points, 13 rebounds and five assists.
In their first matchup this season, Siakam led the Raptors to a 130-122 victory. He notched a double-double with 34 points and 18 rebounds. The two teams combined to put up 252 points, which was well over the projected point total of 231, and Toronto covered as a 7-point favorite. Toronto was effective at getting to and converting from the free throw line. The Raptors made 32 of their 38 free throws (84.2 percent), while the Pelicans were 17-20 (85.0 percent).
Of the Raptors’ seven games, four have gone over the total. Toronto comes into the contest with records of 5-2 straight up (SU) and 4-3 against the spread (ATS).
Games involving the Pelicans also have a tendency to finish over the total (85.7 percent). Further, New Orleans is 1-6 SU and 2-5 ATS.
It will be a battle of conflicting paces as the fast-breaking Pelicans will look to push the more half-court-oriented Raptors. Dating back to the 2018-19 season, the Pelicans rank second in possessions per game while the Raptors are 17th. Furthermore, the Raptors’ fourth-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.538) will battle against the Pelicans’ 21st-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.533).
Toronto Raptors vs. New Orleans Pelicans ATS Pick
Prediction: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2018-Present):
- The Raptors average 24.8 assists per game, which ranks 14th in the NBA. The Pelicans rank last in assists allowed per game (26.5).
- Toronto ranks fifth in points allowed in the paint per game (45.2) while New Orleans ranks 28th (52.1).
- The Raptors average 34.0 three pointers per game, which ranks seventh in the NBA. The Pelicans rank 26th in three pointers allowed per game (34.0).
- Toronto averages 8.2 steals per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. New Orleans ranks 28th in steals allowed per game (8.5).
- New Orleans ranks fifth in rebounds per game (47.1) while Toronto ranks 21st (44.7).
- The Pelicans rank sixth in second chance points per game (14.2) while the Raptors rank 27th (12.0).
- The Raptors average 17.2 points off turnovers per game, which ranks ninth in the league. The Pelicans rank 27th in points off turnovers allowed per game (18.4).
- Toronto ranks 12th in blocks per game (5.2) while New Orleans ranks 21st in blocks allowed per game (5.4).
- Toronto ranks fifth in fast break points per game (18.0) while New Orleans ranks 26th in fast break points allowed per game (16.0).
- When allowing under 100 points, New Orleans is 5-2 and Toronto is 27-2.
- When scoring more than 100 points, the Raptors are 74-26 and the Pelicans are 34-47.