The Toronto Raptors (24-13), 4-point favorites, will travel to the Spectrum Center to clash with the Charlotte Hornets (15-24). The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 209 points and it will air on CTV Sportsnet Toronto at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 8, 2020.
Toronto Raptors at Charlotte Hornets Betting Odds
Both teams lost in their last matchup. The Hornets (6.5-point underdogs) were defeated by the Indiana Pacers, 115-104, while the Raptors (2-point favorites) fell to the Portland Trail Blazers, 101-99. The Charlotte game went 9.5 points over the projected point total of 209.5, while the Toronto game went 16 points under the projected point total of 216.
Toronto had an offensive rebounding percentage of 30.9 (above their season average of 22.2) while Charlotte did an excellent job of making free throws (20-22; 90.9 percent). Terry Rozier played a pivotal role for Charlotte with 28 points and six assists. Kyle Lowry played well for Toronto, finishing with 24 points and 10 assists.
In their first matchup this year, Pascal Siakam led the Raptors to a 132-96 victory. He produced 20 points, eight rebounds and five assists. Toronto covered as a 9-point favorite and the two teams combined to score 228 points, which was over the projected point total of 214. The Raptors’ 8.8 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Hornets, who had a rate of 17.7.
Vegas is highly accurate when predicting totals of Raptors games, with an even split between overs and unders. Toronto holds records of 24-13 straight up (SU) and 20-16 against the spread (ATS).
A little over half of Hornets games have finished over the total. Moreover, Charlotte is 15-24 SU and 19-19-1 ATS.
The inefficient offense of Charlotte (22nd in the league with an offensive efficiency of 105.2) will face off against the top-notch defense of Toronto (second in the NBA with a defensive efficiency of 102.0). The Raptors should have the edge on that end of the court.
Raptors at Hornets Odds Pick
Free NBA Tip: SU Winner – Raptors, ATS Winner – Raptors, O/U – Under
- The Raptors average 19.4 points off turnovers per game, which ranks second in the NBA. The Hornets rank 16th in points off turnovers allowed per game (17.3).
- Toronto ranks second in points allowed in the paint per game (41.9) while Charlotte ranks 28th (51.7).
- The Raptors rank third in fast break points per game (17.8) while the Hornets rank 22nd (11.9).
- Toronto averages 24.7 assists per game, which ranks 11th in the league. Charlotte ranks 29th in assists allowed per game (27.0).
- Toronto ranks ninth in blocks per game (5.4) while Charlotte ranks 25th (4.3).
- The Raptors rank second in steals allowed per game (6.7) while the Hornets rank 25th (8.3).
- The Raptors rank ninth in rebounds per game (46.4) while the Hornets rank 26th (42.8).
- Charlotte ranks 19th in second chance points allowed per game (13.3) while Toronto ranks 25th (14.0).
- Charlotte averages 34.7 three pointers per game, which ranks 10th in the NBA. Toronto ranks 29th in three pointers allowed per game (38.3).
- Charlotte is 3-0 when they hold opponents below 100 points, while Toronto is 11-3.
- In games where they score above 100 points, the Raptors are 22-8 and the Hornets are 13-14.
- Charlotte is 8-10-1 ATS at home, while Toronto is 9-8 ATS on the road.
- Of the Raptors’ 17 road games, they have 11 unders and 6 overs.
- In 19 home games, the Hornets have 11 unders and 8 overs.
- The Raptors are 3-2 ATS over their last five games, while the Hornets are 2-3.
- In their last five games, Toronto has 4 unders and 1 over, while Charlotte has 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Raptors’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.6, up from 5.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Hornets have scored an average of 106.4 points per game (2.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 113.4 points per game (2.4 above their season average).