MAC foes will clash when the Northern Illinois Huskies (12-17, 5-11 MAC) square off against the Toledo Rockets (20-9, 12-4 MAC) at Convocation Center. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 154 points with Toledo opening as a 4.5-point favorite. Action begins at 8 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 27, 2018.
Toledo Rockets vs. Northern Illinois Huskies Betting Preview
The last time the Rockets played, they beat the Central Michigan Chippewas, 89-76. Tre’Shaun Fletcher was the game’s leading scorer with 28 points on 9-for-16 shooting. Toledo played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic offensive rebounding percentage of 34.6 (above their season average of 26.7) and a free throw rate of 0.268 (below their season average of 0.286). For those same stats, Central Michigan was 21.9 and 0.183, respectively.
The Huskies are trying to rebound after their 82-53 loss to the Eastern Michigan Eagles in their last contest. Eugene German was Northern Illinois’ leading scorer with 16 points on 5-for-15 shooting. Eastern Michigan had a turnover percentage of 13.6 (better than their season average of 16.9). Northern Illinois, on the other hand, did a fantastic job of making free throws (11-14; 78.6 percent).
Toledo could struggle to create turnovers. Northern Illinois ranks 83rd in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 17.4 percent), while Toledo forces the fewest turnovers (13.6 percent). Moreover, the 26th-ranked offense of the Rockets (offensive efficiency of 114.7) will try to exploit the 288th-ranked defense of the Huskies (defensive efficiency of 108.9).
Of Toledo’s 26 games that accepted bets, 15 have finished over the O/U total, while 13 of Northern Illinois’ 25 games have finished over the O/U total. The Rockets have the clear advantage straight up (SU) (20-9 vs. 12-17) and a narrow edge against the spread (ATS) (13-13 vs. 12-12-1).
German has taken his game to another level over the last five games for Northern Illinois, averaging 27.4 points per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 159 points, which was over the projected point total of 152.5. The Rockets won 82-77, but were unable to cover as 13-point favorites. Toledo made good use of their 31 trips to the charity stripe, making 25 of them (80.6 percent). Northern Illinois, meanwhile, was just 5-7 (71.4 percent). German scored a game-high 30 points.
Toledo Rockets vs. Northern Illinois Huskies Odds Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – Toledo, ATS Winner – Toledo, O/U – Over
- The Rockets rank 73rd in blocks per game (3.9) while the Huskies rank 165th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- Toledo ranks 88th in rebounds per game (36.9) while Northern Illinois ranks 148th in rebounds allowed per game (34.8).
- Toledo is 8-6 ATS on the road, while Northern Illinois is 7-3 ATS at home.
- The Rockets have 7 overs and 7 unders in 14 road games.
- The Huskies have 5 overs and 5 unders in 10 home games.
- Toledo ranks 51st in assists per game (15.7) while Northern Illinois ranks 284th (9.6).
- The Rockets rank 87th in three pointers attempted per game (23.8) while the Huskies rank 293rd (16.1).
- Northern Illinois ranks 80th in steals per game (6.7) while Toledo ranks 246th (3.7).
- Northern Illinois is 3-2 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Toledo is 2-3 ATS with 4 overs and 1 under.
- The Huskies’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 7.2, up from 2.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rockets have scored an average of 78.8 points per game (1.2 below their season average) and allowed an average of 80.2 points per game (4.8 above their season average).