The No. 8 Texas Tech Red Raiders (14-1, 3-0 Big 12) head to Lloyd Noble Center to take on the No. 9 Oklahoma Sooners (12-2, 2-1 Big 12). The Red Raiders look to extend their eight-game winning streak. The games Over/Under (O/U) opened at 162.5 points with Oklahoma set as a 3-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, January 9, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Texas Tech Red Raiders at Oklahoma Sooners Odds Preview
In the Red Raiders last outing, they beat the Kansas State Wildcats, 74-58. Keenan Evans was the top scorer from either team with 27 points on 7-for-11 shooting. Texas Tech played a flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 31.6 (below their season average of 36.0) and a free throw rate of 0.488 (above their season average of 0.268). Kansas State put up marks of 20.7 and 0.333, respectively, for those same stats.
The Sooners are hoping for a better outcome after their 89-76 loss to the No. 6 West Virginia Mountaineers in their last contest. Trae Young was the top scorer from either team with 29 points on 8-for-22 shooting. West Virginia forced the Sooners into a turnover percentage of 19.5 (above their season average of 14.3). Oklahoma, on the other hand, had a free throw rate of 0.328 (above their season average of 0.260).
This matchup pits one of the nations top offenses against one of its elite defenses as Oklahoma currently ranks 17th in offensive efficiency and Texas Tech is second in defensive efficiency.
These two teams are complete opposites in terms of the O/U total. Texas Tech games have gone under 63.6 percent of the time, while games featuring Oklahoma have finished over 84.6 percent of the time. Both teams have outstanding straight up (SU) records (14-1 for Texas Tech; 12-2 for Oklahoma), but the Red Raiders have the edge against the spread (ATS). Texas Tech is 8-3 ATS, while the Sooners are 6-7.
Zhaire Smith has been impressive over the last five games for Texas Tech, averaging 12.4 points and 1.6 blocks per game.
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams. Each won one of the two games played against each other last season. In the last game, the Red Raiders won 77-69. The Red Raiders dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd free throw rate of 0.327 and a great effective field goal percentage of 0.577. For those same stats, the Sooners recorded marks of 0.150 and 0.500, respectively.
Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. Oklahoma Sooners Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Texas Tech, ATS Winner – Texas Tech, O/U – Over
- he Red Raiders rank 15th in blocks allowed per game (2.2) while the Sooners rank 109th (3.9).
- exas Tech averages 9.3 steals per game, which ranks 11th in the NCAA. Oklahoma ranks 63rd in steals allowed per game (5.9).
- exas Tech is 3-1 ATS on the road, while Oklahoma is 3-3 ATS at home.
- n 4 road games, the Red Raiders have 2 overs and 2 unders.
- n 6 home games, the Sooners have 5 overs and 1 under.
- exas Tech ranks ninth in rebounds allowed per game (30.1) while Oklahoma ranks 218th (38.4).
- he Sooners rank 19th in three pointers attempted per game (27.7) while the Red Raiders rank 200th (19.4).
- exas Tech ranks third in assists allowed per game (8.7) while Oklahoma ranks 168th (14.6).
- klahoma is 3-1 ATS with 3 overs and 1 under in their last five games.
- ver their last five games, Texas Tech is 4-0 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- he Sooners average margin of victory in their last five games has been 14.2, up from 13.1 for the season.
- uring their last five games, the Red Raiders have scored an average of 80.0 points per game (1.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 57.0 points per game (2.2 below their season average).