The No. 3 Texas Tech Red Raiders (30-6) square off against the No. 2 Michigan State Spartans (32-6) in the Final Four at U.S. Bank Stadium. The Red Raiders opened as a 2.5-point underdog. The game’s Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 132.5 points and it gets underway at 8:49 p.m. ET on Saturday, April 6, 2019.
Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. Michigan State Spartans Betting Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Spartans won a close one over the No. 1 Duke Blue Devils 68-67, while the Red Raiders defeated the No. 1 Gonzaga Bulldogs 75-69.
Texas Tech played a nearly flawless game. They had a superb free throw rate of 0.281 (above their season average of 0.243) and a turnover percentage of 16.6 (worse than their season average of 16.2). Gonzaga was 0.203 and 19.5, respectively, for those same stats. Meanwhile, Michigan State’s 8.8 turnover percentage was their biggest strength over Duke, who had a rate of 21.3. The Spartans’ mark was better than their season average of 16.3, while the Blue Devils’ was above their season average of 14.8. Michigan State was lifted by Cassius Winston, who finished with 20 points and 10 assists. Jarrett Culver played a key role for Texas Tech with 19 points and five rebounds.
Matchups including the Red Raiders have a tendency to go under the projected point total (55.6 percent). Texas Tech heads into the contest with records of 30-6 straight up (SU) and 19-16-1 against the spread (ATS).
Much like Texas Tech, Spartans games also have a tendency to go under the total (60.5 percent). Further, Michigan State is 32-6 SU and 27-11 ATS.
The Red Raiders’ Jarrett Culver has been playing well over his last five games, averaging 25 points,7.2 rebounds,4.6 assists,2.2 steals per game. Meanwhile, Xavier Tillman has averaged 14 points,8.6 rebounds,1.4 blocks during that same time frame for the Spartans.
This matchup pits one of the country’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Michigan State currently ranks 10th in offensive efficiency and Texas Tech is first in defensive efficiency.
Texas Tech Red Raiders vs. Michigan State Spartans Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Michigan State, O/U – Over
- Michigan State ranks ninth in rebounds per game (40.6) while Texas Tech ranks 211th (34.3).
- The Red Raiders average 5.0 blocks per game, which ranks 13th in the nation. The Spartans rank 87th in blocks allowed per game (3.0).
- Michigan State ranks 201st in three pointers attempted per game (21.6) while Texas Tech ranks 265th (19.6).
- The Red Raiders rank 50th in steals per game (7.4) while the Spartans rank 231st (5.3).
- Michigan State ranks third in assists per game (18.7) while Texas Tech ranks 116th (13.9).
- The Spartans’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 10.8, down from 13.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Red Raiders have scored an average of 72.4 points per game (0.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 61.4 points per game (2.4 above their season average).