Expect a fast-paced game when the Texas Southern Tigers (12-13, 9-3 SWAC) visit Mississippi Valley State to play the Delta Devils (3-23, 2-11 SWAC). The game is scheduled to start at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22, 2020.
Texas Southern Tigers vs. Mississippi Valley State Delta Devils Betting Odds
In their last matchup, the Delta Devils lost big to the Southern University Jaguars, 95-62, while the Tigers defeated the Grambling State Tigers, 93-79.
Texas Southern dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastically low turnover percentage of 7.2 (better than their season average of 18.5) and a free throw rate of 0.349 (above their season average of 0.268). For those same stats, Grambling State had marks of 17.5 and 0.186, respectively. Mississippi Valley State, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (20.1 vs. 18.3). Mississippi Valley State’s Caleb Hunter led the way, recording 17 points. Texas Southern, meanwhile, received a boost from Yahuza Rasas, who recorded 17 points and 11 rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Justin Hopkins led the Tigers to an 80-67 win. He notched a double-double with 18 points and 17 rebounds. Texas Southern’s rebounding was their largest strength. The Tigers had more offensive rebounds (22 vs. 8), defensive rebounds (45 vs. 31) and total rebounds (67 vs. 39).
There should be a fair amount of transition offense in this contest that showcases a pair of the NCAA’s more up-and-down teams. Mississippi Valley State ranks first in possessions per game (79.0) and Texas Southern is 16th (74.7).
Texas Southern at Mississippi Valley State Betting Pick
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Texas Southern, ATS Winner – Texas Southern, O/U – Over
- Mississippi Valley State ranks 18th in three pointers attempted per game (27.6) while Texas Southern ranks 269th (17.8).
- The Tigers rank 210th in assists allowed per game (14.0) while the Delta Devils rank 275th (19.6).
- Mississippi Valley State averages 2.9 blocks per game, which is ranked 134th in the NCAA. Texas Southern ranks 153rd in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- The Tigers average 38.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 50th in the nation. The Delta Devils rank 301st in rebounds allowed per game (48.7).
- Mississippi Valley State ranks 67th in steals per game (7.4) while Texas Southern ranks 189th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 73.2 points per game (1.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.8 points per game (0.9 below their season average).
- The Delta Devils’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.8, down from 20.5 for the season.