The Ohio State Buckeyes (2-0) will be at home in Value City Arena when they challenge the Texas Southern Tigers (0-2). Ohio State opened as a 15.5-point favorite, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game has been set at 153 points. Action gets underway at 7 p.m. ET on Thursday, November 16, 2017.
Texas Southern Tigers at Ohio State Buckeyes Betting Preview
In the Tigers last matchup, they lost a tough one against the Washington State Cougars, 86-84. With 22 points on 8-for-13 shooting, Donte Clark was Texas Southerns leading scorer. Washington State had a much better turnover percentage (10.1 vs. 23.0). Texas Southern, on the other hand, was lights out from beyond the arc (14-32; 43.8 percent).
The Buckeyes will look to maintain momentum after topping the Radford Highlanders in their last game, 82-72. With 22 points on 8-for-17 shooting, Keita Bates-Diop was the top scorer from either team. Ohio State played a nearly flawless game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 39.0 and a turnover percentage of 16.4. Radford put up marks of 21.6 and 18.4, respectively, for those same stats.
Dating back to last season, a focal point for the Texas Southern offense has been to get to and convert from the free throw line. The Tigers rank eighth in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.317), but Ohio State has been among the best in the nation at keeping opponents away from the charity stripe (ranking 31st by yielding a FTA rate of 0.194).
The Tigers are 23-13 straight up (SU) since last season, but are just 2-7 against the spread (ATS). Vegas has had a tendency to place the total low when Texas Southern is involved since last season as 66.7 percent of their games have finished over the projected point total.
The Buckeyes are 19-15 SU since last season, but are just 11-19 ATS. Over that same stretch, Ohio States games have had a tendency to go over the projected point total (56.7 percent).
Texas Southern Tigers vs. Ohio State Buckeyes Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Ohio State, ATS Winner – Texas Southern, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Buckeyes rank 165th in assists per game (13.5) while the Tigers rank 268th (11.6).
- Ohio State averages 3.9 blocks per game, which ranks 87th in the NCAA. Texas Southern ranks 124th in blocks allowed per game (3.3).
- Texas Southern ranks 31st in three pointers allowed per game (18.2) while Ohio State ranks 283rd (24.3).
- The Buckeyes average 37.9 rebounds per game, which ranks 69th in the nation. The Tigers rank 285th in rebounds allowed per game (38.4).
- Texas Southern ranks 59th in steals per game (7.2) while Ohio State ranks 235th (5.3).