The Texas Southern Tigers (5-8) will be at David L. Whitney Gymnasium to meet the Alcorn State Braves (4-8) in a SWAC matchup. Action begins at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 5, 2019.
Texas Southern Tigers at Alcorn State Braves ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Braves fell to the Tulsa Golden Hurricane, 73-56, while the Tigers barely escaped the Baylor Bears, 72-69.
The Tigers had a much better free throw rate (0.250 vs. 0.045) and had a better effective field goal percentage (0.567 vs. 0.493). Alcorn State, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.480 vs. 0.541). Deshaw Andrews had a solid outing for Alcorn State with 20 points and five rebounds. Trayvon Reed led the way for Texas Southern, putting up 15 points and 12 rebounds.
The Tigers dominated this series last year, winning both contests. In the most recent contest, Texas Southern won 78-71. The Tigers’ 5.8 turnover percentage was their biggest advantage over the Braves, who had a rate of 16.3. This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
Getting to the line could be scarce for Alcorn State in this showdown. The Braves rank 267th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.203, while Texas Southern ranks 87th in FTA rate allowed (0.203).
Texas Southern Tigers at Alcorn State Braves Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Alcorn State, O/U – Under
- Texas Southern ranks 52nd in assists per game (15.5) while Alcorn State ranks 215th in assists allowed per game (16.1).
- The Braves rank 23rd in steals per game (8.6) while the Tigers rank 122nd in steals allowed per game (6.8).
- Alcorn State ranks 35th in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Texas Southern ranks 127th (4.0).
- The Tigers average 26.5 three pointers per game, which ranks 46th in the country. The Braves rank 185th in three pointers allowed per game (24.5).
- Alcorn State ranks 158th in rebounds allowed per game (36.1) while Texas Southern ranks 259th (42.1).
- The Braves’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.2, up from 2.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 67.8 points per game (8.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 89.2 points per game (6.0 above their season average).