The Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders (8-15, 5-8 SthLnd) will travel to Montagne Center to clash against the Lamar Cardinals (16-11, 8-6 SthLnd) in their home finale. Tip-off is set for 5:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 17, 2018.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders vs. Lamar Cardinals Free Preview
In the Islanders last contest, they lost big to the Stephen F. Austin Lumberjacks, 87-68. With 20 points on 7-for-12 shooting, Kareem South was Texas A&M-Corpus Christi’s high scorer. Stephen F. Austin did a terrific job of making free throws (30-41; 73.2 percent). Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, on the other hand, held the Lumberjacks to an offensive rebounding percentage of 28.1 (below their season average of 34.7).
The Cardinals will look to maintain momentum after dismantling the Incarnate Word Cardinals in their last game, 85-62. Lamar was led by Zjori Bosha, who put up 15 points and 11 rebounds. Lamar played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4 (below their season average of 33.7) and a turnover percentage of 9.8 (better than their season average of 16.0). For those same stats, Incarnate Word put up marks of 14.7 and 20.7, respectively.
This contest should be a matchup of conflicting styles. Lamar likes to play up-tempo (68th in possessions per game), while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi is methodical (200th in possessions per game). Moreover, the 338th-ranked offense of the Islanders (offensive efficiency of 93.8) will go head-to-head against the 34th-ranked defense of the Cardinals (defensive efficiency of 96.8).
These teams have already met once this season. The Cardinals won 77-72. The Cardinals dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a great effective field goal percentage of 0.573 and a superb free throw rate of 0.255. For those same stats, the Islanders were 0.433 and 0.209, respectively. Colton Weisbrod recorded a double-double with 26 points and 14 rebounds.
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Islanders at Lamar Cardinals ATS Prediction
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, ATS Winner – Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, O/U – Under
- The Cardinals rank 63rd in rebounds per game (37.9) while the Islanders rank 88th in rebounds allowed per game (33.5).
- Lamar averages 9.1 steals per game, which ranks seventh in the NCAA. Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 208th in steals allowed per game (8.0).
- The Cardinals rank 123rd in three pointers attempted per game (22.6) while the Islanders rank 307th (14.8).
- Lamar ranks 128th in assists per game (14.0) while Texas A&M-Corpus Christi ranks 243rd (11.3).
- The Cardinals average margin of victory in their last five games has been 8.4, up from 7.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Islanders have scored an average of 61.6 points per game (3.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.0 points per game (5.7 below their season average).