It figures to be a low-scoring affair as the Tennessee Volunteers (14-10, 6-5 SEC) visit South Carolina to take on the Gamecocks (15-9, 7-4 SEC). The game starts at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 15, 2020, and will air on SEC Network.
Tennessee Volunteers vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Betting Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Gamecocks were victorious over the Georgia Bulldogs 75-59, while the Volunteers easily got past the Arkansas Razorbacks 82-61.
Tennessee played a nearly perfect game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.547 (above their season average of 0.482) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.9 (above their season average of 29.6). For those same stats, Arkansas was 0.357 and 27.5, respectively. The Gamecocks, on the other hand, held the Bulldogs to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.5 (below their season average of 33.0). The Bulldogs also had a turnover percentage of 23.0 (above their season average of 17.4). South Carolina received a boost from AJ Lawson, who contributed 20 points. Meanwhile, Santiago Vescovi had a good outing for Tennessee, recording 20 points and eight assists.
In their first matchup this season, John Fulkerson led the Volunteers to a 56-55 victory. He recorded a double-double with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Tennessee’s largest advantages. They had 28 free throw attempts, while South Carolina had 22.
The Volunteers’ Vescovi has been playing at a high level over his last five games, averaging 12 points,4.2 assists,1.6 steals per game. Meanwhile, Maik Kotsar has averaged 12 points,6.6 rebounds,2.0 steals,1.8 blocks during that same time frame for the Gamecocks.
Baskets could be hard to come by in this meeting between a pair of the nation’s top defenses. South Carolina ranks 43rd in defensive efficiency (93.7) and Tennessee is 42nd (93.7). Furthermore, the Volunteers are among the nation’s elite at getting to the line, ranking 48th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.269). The Gamecocks, meanhwile, rank 354th at keeping opponents off the charity stripe with an opponents’ FTA rate of 0.362.
Tennessee Volunteers vs. South Carolina Gamecocks Betting Pick
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – South Carolina, ATS Winner – South Carolina, O/U – Over
- South Carolina averages 7.8 steals per game, which ranks 44th in the country. Tennessee ranks 184th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Gamecocks rank 76th in rebounds per game (37.5) while the Volunteers rank 111th in rebounds allowed per game (34.0).
- Tennessee is 17th in the NCAA with 10.0 assists allowed per game while South Carolina is 48th with 11.0 assists allowed per game.
- The Volunteers rank eighth in blocks per game (5.9) while the Gamecocks rank 126th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- Tennessee ranks 35th in three pointers allowed per game (18.6) while South Carolina ranks 153rd (21.8).
- During their last five games, the Gamecocks have scored an average of 74.8 points per game (3.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.6 points per game (0.9 below their season average).
- The Volunteers have been outscored by an average of 1.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Tennessee has defeated opponents by an average of 5.0 points.