A defensive battle should be expected when the Miami Hurricanes (18-7, 7-6 ACC) and the Syracuse Orange (17-9, 6-7 ACC) battle at Watsco Center. Action gets underway at 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 17, 2018.
Syracuse Orange vs. Miami Hurricanes ATS Preview
In the Orange’s last game, they fell to the North Carolina State Wolfpack, 74-70. Syracuse’s Oshae Brissett had a solid game, leading both teams in scoring with 25 points on 8-for-13 shooting. North Carolina State had an effective field goal percentage of 0.653 (above their season average of 0.519). Syracuse, on the other hand, did an excellent job of getting and making free throws (19-27; 70.4 percent).
The Hurricanes are hoping for a better outcome after their 59-50 loss to the No. 1 Virginia Cavaliers in their last outing. Chris Lykes was Miami’s high scorer with 19 points on 6-for-12 shooting. Virginia’s offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest advantage over Miami. The Cavaliers had a rate of 30.8 (above their season average of 27.1), while the Hurricanes posted a mark of 20.0 (below their season average of 29.5).
This contest figures to be low-scoring as a pair of the nations premier defenses square off. Miami currently ranks 27th in defensive efficiency (96.5) and Syracuse is 32nd (96.8). Also, the Orange, who rank 10th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.305), will face a difficult test against the Hurricanes, who rank 56th in opponents FTA rate (0.198).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after splitting two games last season. In the most recent matchup, the Hurricanes won 62-57. The Hurricanes dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a superb offensive rebounding percentage of 29.0 and a turnover percentage of 12.4. The Orange put up marks of 15.4 and 16.7, respectively, for those same stats.
Syracuse Orange vs. Miami Hurricanes Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Miami, ATS Winner – Miami, O/U – Over
- The Orange rank 22nd in steals per game (7.8) while the Hurricanes rank 94th (6.6).
- Syracuse ranks 56th in rebounds per game (38.1) while Miami ranks 110th in rebounds allowed per game (33.9).
- Miami ranks 73rd in assists allowed per game (12.2) while Syracuse ranks 240th (15.9).
- The Hurricanes rank 76th in three pointers allowed per game (20.4) while the Orange rank 240th (24.5).
- Syracuse averages 5.5 blocks per game, which ranks 11th in the nation. Miami ranks 87th in blocks allowed per game (3.2).
- The Hurricanes average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 8.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Orange have scored an average of 64.2 points per game (4.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.2 points per game (2.4 above their season average).