AmEast foes will clash when the UMBC Retrievers (19-9, 10-3 AmEast) clash with the Stony Brook Seawolves (11-17, 6-8 AmEast) at Retriever Activities Center. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Wednesday, February 21, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN 3.
Stony Brook Seawolves at UMBC Retrievers ATS Preview
The Seawolves were victorious over the New Hampshire Wildcats in their last contest, 72-63. UC Iroegbu was Stony Brook’s high scorer with 17 points on 6-for-12 shooting. The Seawolves made 20 of their 26 free throws (76.9 percent), while the Wildcats had a turnover percentage of 24.4 (above their season average of 15.1).
The last time the Retrievers played, they topped the Albany Great Danes, 68-60. With 22 points on 8-for-14 shooting, Jairus Lyles was UMBC’s leading scorer. UMBC dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had a great free throw rate of 0.265 (above their season average of 0.202) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.561 (above their season average of 0.533). For those same stats, Albany put up marks of 0.138 and 0.448, respectively.
UMBC appears to have the edge on the offensive side of the ball. The Retrievers rank 87th in effective field goal percentage (0.534), while Stony Brook ranks 203rd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.510). Moreover, the Seawolves rank 280th in turnover percentage (20.5 percent), while the Retrievers rank 46th in opponents turnover percentage (21.5 percent).
These teams have already met once this season. The Retrievers won 67-63. UMBC had a much better turnover percentage (12.9 vs. 21.5). Stony Brook, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (20.6 vs. 13.2). In the victory, Lyles led all scorers with 24 points.
Stony Brook Seawolves at UMBC Retrievers Betting Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – UMBC, ATS Winner – UMBC, O/U – Over
- Stony Brook ranks 66th in three pointers attempted per game (24.4) while UMBC ranks 216th in three pointers allowed per game (23.4).
- The Retrievers average 7.4 steals per game, which ranks 45th in the NCAA. The Seawolves rank 175th in steals allowed per game (6.9).
- Stony Brook ranks 119th in rebounds per game (36.0) while UMBC ranks 210th in rebounds allowed per game (36.1).
- The Retrievers average margin of victory in their last five games has been 0.6, down from 4.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Seawolves have scored an average of 67.6 points per game (2.4 below their season average) and allowed an average of 66.8 points per game (4.4 below their season average).