The Stony Brook Seawolves (0-3) are off to a slow start and will try to get their first victory when they go head-to-head against the No. 2 Michigan State Spartans (1-1) at Jack Breslin Student Events Center. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Sunday, November 19, 2017.
Stony Brook Seawolves at Michigan State Spartans Odds Preview
The last time the Seawolves played, they were beaten by the Ball State Cardinals, 87-76. Stony Brooks Junior Saintel contributed 16 points and 10 rebounds in the game. Ball State had a much better turnover percentage (12.8 vs. 20.7). Stony Brook, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (47.4 vs. 31.0).
The Spartans are hoping for a better outcome after their 88-81 loss to the No. 1 Duke Blue Devils in their last outing. Jaren Jackson Jr. led Michigan State in scoring with 19 points on 7-for-10 shooting. Duke had a much better turnover percentage (9.2 vs. 19.8). Michigan State, on the other hand, had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.582 vs. 0.454).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Michigan State should have a significant edge. Since last season, the Spartans defense ranks 29th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.465), while the Stony Brook offense ranks 318th in effective field goal percentage (0.471). Additionally, the Seawolves rank 24th in turnover percentage (16.0 percent), while the Spartans rank 322nd in opponents turnover percentage (16.2 percent).
Since last season, the Seawolves have had records of 18-16 straight up (SU) and 2-1-1 against the spread (ATS). Games involving Stony Brook have had a tendency to finish under the projected point total since last season (100.0 percent).
The Spartans, on the other hand, are 20-15 SU and 19-17 ATS since last season. Games involving Michigan State have gone over the projected point total 51.4 percent of the time over that same stretch.
Stony Brook Seawolves vs. Michigan State Spartans Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Michigan State, ATS Winner – Stony Brook, O/U – Under
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Spartans rank 116th in rebounds per game (36.7) while the Seawolves rank 241st (34.4).
- Stony Brook averages 24.2 three pointers per game, which ranks 56th in the nation. Michigan State ranks 67th in three pointers allowed per game (19.3).
- Michigan State ranks eighth in assists per game (17.2) while Stony Brook ranks 230th (12.4).
- The Seawolves rank 12th in steals allowed per game (4.7) while the Spartans rank 161st (6.3).
- Michigan State ranks 23rd in blocks per game (5.0) while Stony Brook ranks 165th (3.1).