The Southern Miss Golden Eagles (2-2) and the Youngstown State Penguins (2-3) square off at Sanford Pentagon. Action starts at 5 p.m. ET on Saturday, November 25, 2017.
Youngstown State Penguins vs. Southern Miss Golden Eagles Odds Preview
In the Penguins last contest, they fell to the Northern Colorado Bears, 80-67. Tyree Robinson put together a solid performance for Youngstown State, finishing with 15 points and 10 rebounds. Northern Colorado had a better free throw rate (0.232 vs. 0.141). Youngstown State, meanwhile, held the Bears to an offensive rebounding percentage of 19.4 (below their season average of 27.5).
The Golden Eagles are trying to rebound after their 84-71 loss to the South Dakota Coyotes in their last game. Cortez Edwards was Southern Miss leading scorer with 18 points on 7-for-14 shooting. South Dakota did a fantastic job of making free throws (23-29; 79.3 percent). Southern Miss, on the other hand, forced the Coyotes into a turnover percentage of 19.3 (above their season average of 14.0).
Southern Miss may have trouble getting to the charity stripe in this matchup. The Golden Eagles rank 294th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.216, while Youngstown State ranks 51st in FTA rate allowed (0.206) since last season. It will also be a showdown of conflicting tempos as the up-tempo Penguins rank ninth in possessions per game, while the more methodical Golden Eagles rank 259th.
The Penguins have had records of 15-24 straight up (SU) and 12-19 against the spread (ATS) since last season. Games featuring Youngstown State have had a tendency to go over the projected point total since last season (61.3 percent).
The Golden Eagles, on the other hand, have records of 11-24 SU and 15-12-1 ATS since last season. Vegas has been fairly accurate when setting the O/U total of Southern Miss games over that same period with 15 unders compared to 12 overs.
Youngstown State Penguins vs. Southern Miss Golden Eagles Betting Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Youngstown State, ATS Winner – Youngstown State, O/U – Over
Betting Notes (2016-Present):
- The Penguins rank 129th in steals per game (6.4) while the Golden Eagles rank 280th (4.8).
- Youngstown State ranks 157th in blocks per game (3.3) while Southern Miss ranks 289th (1.9).
- Youngstown State averages 15.4 assists per game, which ranks 58th in the nation. Southern Miss ranks 251st in assists allowed per game (14.6).
- The Penguins average 22.1 three pointers per game, which ranks 126th in the nation. The Golden Eagles rank 294th in three pointers allowed per game (24.8).
- Youngstown State ranks 83rd in rebounds per game (37.5) while Southern Miss ranks 243rd (34.2).