Pac-12 foes will battle when the California Golden Bears (8-18, 2-11 Pac-12) clash with the Stanford Cardinal (13-13, 7-6 Pac-12) at Haas Pavilion. Stanford opened as a 6.5-point favorite, while the games Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 142 points. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Sunday, February 18, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPNU.
Stanford Cardinal at California Golden Bears Odds Preview
In the Cardinal’s last outing, they fell to the Colorado Buffaloes, 64-56. With 18 points on 5-for-15 shooting, Dorian Pickens was the top scorer from either team. Colorado had a turnover percentage of 15.0 (better than their season average of 18.0). Stanford, meanwhile, had a better free throw rate (0.161 vs. 0.145).
The Golden Bears are trying to rebound after their 77-43 loss to the Utah Runnin’ Utes in their last outing. Darius McNeill was California’s high scorer with 10 points on 4-for-14 shooting. Utah made 13 of their 28 three pointers (46.4 percent). California, meanwhile, held the Runnin’ Utes to an offensive rebounding percentage of 21.4 (below the 30.5 mark opponents have averaged against California this season).
The physical Stanford offense looks poised to dominate from the free throw line. The Cardinal currently rank 64th in the nation with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.277, while California ranks 251st in FTA rate allowed (0.257).
Both of these teams tend to go under the O/U total. Stanford games have gone under 61.5 percent of the time, while games featuring California have finished under 56.5 percent of the time. Looking at straight up (SU) and against the spread (ATS) records, the Cardinal have a significant advantage. They are 13-13 SU and 12-13-1 ATS, while the Golden Bears are 8-18 SU and 9-14 ATS.
Daejon Davis has really been playing well over the last five games for Stanford, averaging 12.8 points, 6.4 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. In that game, the two teams combined for 151 points, which was over the projected point total of 144.5. The Golden Bears won 77-74, covering as 7-point underdogs. The Golden Bears 11.8 turnover percentage was their largest advantage over the Cardinal, who had a mark of 14.0. Justice Sueing was a standout player in the game, producing 18 points and six rebounds.
Stanford Cardinal vs. California Golden Bears Betting Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Stanford, ATS Winner – Stanford, O/U – Under
- The Cardinal rank 60th in rebounds per game (37.9) while the Golden Bears rank 115th in rebounds allowed per game (34.0).
- Stanford ranks 268th in three pointers attempted per game (18.2) while California ranks 300th (15.7).
- Stanford is 3-7 ATS on the road with 8 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, California is 4-9 ATS with 7 overs, 5 unders and 1 push.
- California averages 4.9 blocks per game, which ranks 26th in the NCAA. Stanford ranks 189th in blocks allowed per game (4.6).
- The Cardinal rank 117th in assists allowed per game (13.0) while the Golden Bears rank 259th (16.8).
- California averages 7.0 steals per game, which ranks 67th in the NCAA. Stanford ranks 169th in steals allowed per game (7.0).
- California is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, Stanford is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Golden Bears average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 13.0, up from 9.0 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Cardinal have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (1.7 below their season average) and allowed an average of 72.0 points per game (2.2 below their season average).