It will be a clash between two superb defenses when the Sacramento State Hornets (12-10, 5-8 BigSky) challenge the Southern Utah Thunderbirds (14-9, 7-5 BigSky) at The Hornets Nest. Action gets underway at 10:05 p.m. ET on Thursday, February 13, 2020.
Southern Utah Thunderbirds at Sacramento State Hornets ATS Odds
Both teams were victorious in their last game. The Hornets beat the Idaho State Bengals 63-59, while the Thunderbirds easily got past the Portland State Vikings 85-57.
The Thunderbirds held the Vikings to an effective field goal percentage of 0.269 (below their season average of 0.492) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.5 (below their season average of 38.6). Meanwhile, Sacramento State’s 9.9 turnover percentage was their largest strength over Idaho State, who had a rate of 13.1. The Hornets’ mark was better than their season average of 17.3. Sacramento State received a boost from Bryce Fowler, who finished with 18 points and seven rebounds. Meanwhile, Maizen Fausett fueled Southern Utah with nine points and 12 rebounds.
In their first matchup this season, Dre Marin led the Thunderbirds to a 74-49 win. He produced 17 points. Southern Utah was successful at getting to and converting from the charity stripe. The Thunderbirds made 22 of their 26 free throws (84.6 percent), while the Hornets were just 14-21 (66.7 percent).
Sacramento State might struggle to find the bottom of the net as they face off against one of the NCAA’s best defenses. Southern Utah currently ranks 10th in defensive efficiency while the Hornets rank 315th in offensive efficiency.
Southern Utah Thunderbirds at Sacramento State Hornets Free Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Southern Utah, ATS Winner – Southern Utah, O/U – Over
- Sacramento State ranks 71st in blocks per game (3.8) while Southern Utah ranks 147th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- The Hornets allow the 11th-fewest assists per game (9.7) while the Thunderbirds rank 32nd (10.6).
- Sacramento State ranks 33rd in rebounds allowed per game (31.5) while Southern Utah ranks 39th (31.7).
- The Hornets rank second in three pointers allowed per game (14.6) while the Thunderbirds rank 66th (19.6).
- Sacramento State ranks 44th in steals allowed per game (5.5) while Southern Utah ranks 82nd (6.0).
- The Hornets have been outscored by an average of 6.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Sacramento State has defeated opponents by an average of 2.6 points.
- During their last five games, the Thunderbirds have scored an average of 72.6 points per game (1.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 64.0 points per game (0.1 below their season average).