The Southern University Jaguars (1-14, 0-2 SWAC) and the Grambling State Tigers (6-9, 0-2 SWAC) battle at Assembly Center. The Jaguars will try to snap their eight-game losing streak. Action begins at 6 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Southern University Jaguars vs. Grambling State Tigers ATS Odds
Both teams lost in their last matchup. The Tigers fell to the Alabama A&M Bulldogs, 65-60, while the Jaguars were defeated by the Texas Southern Tigers, 77-67.
Southern University had an offensive rebounding percentage of 45.9 (above their season average of 30.1) while Grambling State forced Alabama A&M into a turnover percentage of 24.0 (above their season average of 19.5). Ivy Smith Jr. fueled Grambling State with 27 points and five rebounds. Eddie Reese, meanwhile had a good game for Southern University, finishing with 17 points and eight rebounds.
This series was highly competitive last year, as the teams split their two games last season. The Tigers won the most recent matchup 69-68. Grambling State had a much better turnover percentage (14.7 vs. 19.8). Southern University, on the other hand, did a great job of getting and making free throws (24-34; 70.6 percent). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Grambling State could dominate on the defensive side of the ball as they square off against one of the nation’s worst offenses. The Tigers currently rank 59th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.467), while Southern University is 280th in effective field goal percentage (0.483).
Southern University Jaguars vs. Grambling State Tigers Pick
Free Prediction: SU Winner – Grambling State, O/U – Under
- Grambling State ranks 77th in rebounds per game (37.9) while Southern University ranks 247th (30.3).
- The Tigers average 12.1 assists per game, which ranks 182nd in the NCAA. The Jaguars rank 189th in assists allowed per game (14.8).
- The Tigers average 4.1 blocks per game, which ranks 59th in the nation. The Jaguars rank 123rd in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- Southern University ranks 246th in three pointers attempted per game (18.0) while Grambling State ranks 266th (15.7).
- During their last five games, the Jaguars have scored an average of 64.6 points per game (2.5 below their season average) and allowed an average of 78.2 points per game (5.1 below their season average).
- The Tigers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 8.8, up from 1.5 for the season.