A five-game home winning streak hangs in the balance for the Alcorn State Braves (13-13, 9-6 SWAC) when they welcome the Southern University Jaguars (13-15, 10-5 SWAC) to David L. Whitney Gymnasium. The game gets underway at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 29, 2020.
Southern University Jaguars at Alcorn State Braves ATS Odds
Both teams were triumphant in their last game. The Braves won a close one over the Alabama State Hornets 80-77, while the Jaguars had no trouble getting past the Alabama A&M Bulldogs 64-37.
Southern University dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an effective field goal percentage of 0.464 (below their season average of 0.483) and a turnover percentage of 16.0 (better than their season average of 17.4). For those same stats, Alabama A&M was 0.274 and 26.4, respectively. The Braves, on the other hand, made 12 of their 17 free throws (70.6 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.642 (above their season average of 0.499). Alcorn State received a boost from Dominic Brewton, who contributed 17 points and six rebounds. Ahsante Shivers, meanwhile had a solid performance for Southern University, finishing with 16 points and seven rebounds.
In their first matchup this year, Lamarcus Lee led the Jaguars to a 93-82 victory. He registered a double-double with 26 points and 11 rebounds. One of Southern University’s largest strengths was getting to the free throw line. They made 39 trips to the line, while Alcorn State went just 22 times.
This contest should be a battle of opposite styles. Alcorn State has preferred to play up-tempo (36th in possessions per game), while Southern University has been slower-paced (169th in possessions per game).
Southern University Jaguars vs. Alcorn State Braves Free Pick
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Alcorn State, ATS Winner – Alcorn State, O/U – Over
- Alcorn State ranks 54th in three pointers attempted per game (25.0) while Southern University ranks 283rd (17.5).
- The Jaguars average 6.8 steals per game, which ranks 104th in the country. The Braves rank 201st in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- Alcorn State ranks 115th in blocks per game (3.2) while Southern University ranks 118th in blocks allowed per game (3.4).
- The Jaguars rank 11th in assists allowed per game (9.8) while the Braves rank 223rd (14.2).
- Southern University ranks 32nd in rebounds allowed per game (31.6) while Alcorn State ranks 173rd (35.7).
- The Braves have been outscored by an average of 0.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Alcorn State has defeated opponents by an average of 2.3 points.
- During their last five games, the Jaguars have scored an average of 67.8 points per game (1.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 51.8 points per game (13.1 below their season average).