The Alabama A&M Bulldogs (2-24, 2-11 SWAC), who are currently on a nine-game skid, look to get back in the win column when they welcome the Southern University Jaguars (13-14, 9-5 SWAC) to Elmore Gymnasium. Action gets underway at 1 p.m. ET on Monday, February 19, 2018.
Southern University Jaguars at Alabama A&M Bulldogs Odds Preview
The Jaguars defeated the Alabama State Hornets in their last outing, 71-67. Jared Sam was Southern University’s leading scorer with 19 points on 4-for-13 shooting. Southern University played a nearly perfect game. They had an extraordinary offensive rebounding percentage of 39.5 (above their season average of 32.7) and a turnover percentage of 10.5 (better than their season average of 16.2). Alabama State put up marks of 22.9 and 15.0, respectively, for those same stats.
In the Bulldogs last matchup, they were defeated by the Alcorn State Braves, 80-60. Tracey Burnett led Alabama A&M in scoring with 15 points on 6-for-10 shooting. Alcorn State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 27.2). Alabama A&M, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 12.0 (better than their season average of 21.7).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Southern University should have a considerable advantage. The Jaguars defense ranks 93rd in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.489), while the Alabama A&M offense is ranked 345th in effective field goal percentage (0.444).
These teams have already met once this season. The Jaguars won 62-61. The Jaguars dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a solid free throw rate of 0.279 and a solid effective field goal percentage of 0.581. The Bulldogs were 0.164 and 0.473, respectively, for those same stats. Sam was the games leading scorer with 17 points.
Southern University Jaguars vs. Alabama A&M Bulldogs Prediction
Free Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Alabama A&M, ATS Winner – Alabama A&M, O/U – Over
- The Jaguars rank 152nd in steals per game (5.8) while the Bulldogs rank 244th (3.7).
- Southern University ranks 265th in assists per game (11.0) while Alabama A&M ranks 269th (10.8).
- Southern University ranks 29th in rebounds per game (39.1) while Alabama A&M ranks 216th (33.8).
- The Bulldogs rank 41st in three pointers allowed per game (19.3) while the Jaguars rank 157th (22.2).
- Southern University ranks 117th in blocks per game (3.4) while Alabama A&M ranks 232nd (1.4).
- The Bulldogs average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 17.6, up from 16.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Jaguars have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (2.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 62.2 points per game (9.4 below their season average).