MVC foes will collide when the Valparaiso Crusaders (9-7, 0-3 MVC) square off against the Southern Illinois Salukis (10-6, 2-1 MVC) at Athletics-Recreation Center. Tip-off is scheduled for 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 6, 2018.
Southern Illinois Salukis vs. Valparaiso Crusaders ATS Preview
In the Salukis last contest, they barely escaped the Evansville Aces, 65-63. With 13 points and five assists, Southern Illinois Tyler Smithpeters played well. The Salukis had a solid free throw rate of 0.295 (above their season average of 0.208) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.591 (above their season average of 0.517).
The Crusaders are trying to rebound after their 80-71 loss to the Bradley Braves in their last outing. Tevonn Walker was the games high scorer with 25 points on 6-for-16 shooting. Bradley held the Crusaders to an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 (below their season average of 32.3). Valparaiso, on the other hand, had a turnover percentage of 12.8 (better than their season average of 19.8).
From an effective field goal percentage perspective, Valparaiso should have a substantial edge. The Crusaders defense ranks 38th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.458), while the Southern Illinois offense is ranked 163rd in effective field goal percentage (0.521).
Southern Illinois Salukis vs. Valparaiso Crusaders Free Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Valparaiso, ATS Winner – Valparaiso, O/U – Under
- The Salukis rank 31st in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Crusaders rank 61st (3.0).
- Valparaiso ranks 50th in steals per game (7.6) while Southern Illinois ranks 111th (6.5).
- The Salukis rank 40th in assists allowed per game (11.2) while the Crusaders rank 98th (12.7).
- Valparaiso ranks 88th in rebounds per game (37.9) while Southern Illinois ranks 137th in rebounds allowed per game (35.1).
- The Crusaders have been outscored by an average of 8.0 points in their last five games. For the season, Valparaiso has defeated opponents by an average of 4.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Salukis have scored an average of 65.2 points per game (5.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.2 points per game (0.1 above their season average).