The Evansville Aces (16-14, 6-11 MVC) and Southern Illinois Salukis (19-11, 11-6 MVC) will clash at Ford Center to bring the regular season to a close. Tip-off is scheduled for 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Southern Illinois Salukis at Evansville Aces Free Preview
In the Salukis last outing, they got blown out by the Loyola Chicago Ramblers, 75-56. With 16 points on 7-for-10 shooting, Kavion Pippen was the games leading scorer. Loyola Chicago forced the Salukis into a turnover percentage of 20.3 (above their season average of 16.6). Southern Illinois, on the other hand, had a much better free throw rate (0.213 vs. 0.074).
The Aces are hoping for a better outcome after their 58-53 loss to the Indiana State Sycamores in their last game. Ryan Taylor was the games leading scorer with 30 points on 11-for-30 shooting. Getting to the charity stripe was one of Indiana State’s biggest strengths. They made 25 trips to the line, while Evansville went just 14 times.
Half-court execution will be critical when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams battle. Evansville currently ranks 332nd in possessions per game (65.5) and Southern Illinois is 280th (67.5).
These teams have already met once this season. The Salukis won 65-63. Southern Illinois had a much better free throw rate (0.295 vs. 0.115). Evansville, on the other hand, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (38.5 vs. 30.8). Tyler Smithpeters was a standout player in the game, putting up 13 points and five assists.
Southern Illinois Salukis vs. Evansville Aces ATS Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – Southern Illinois, ATS Winner – Southern Illinois, O/U – Under
- The Salukis rank 271st in three pointers attempted per game (18.2) while the Aces rank 314th (13.8).
- Southern Illinois ranks 31st in steals per game (7.7) while Evansville ranks 189th in steals allowed per game (7.3).
- The Salukis rank 23rd in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while the Aces rank 167th (4.1).
- Evansville ranks 45th in rebounds allowed per game (32.1) while Southern Illinois ranks 112th (33.9).
- The Aces have been outscored by an average of 6.8 points in their last five games. On the season, Evansville has defeated opponents by an average of 0.9 points.
- During their last five games, the Salukis have scored an average of 71.0 points per game (0.0 above their season average) and allowed an average of 72.0 points per game (3.1 above their season average).