The South Dakota State Jackrabbits (27-6, 15-1 Summit) and the South Dakota Coyotes (26-7, 13-3 Summit) face off in the Summit League Conference Tourney at Denny Sanford PREMIER Center. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Tuesday, March 6, 2018, and it can be seen on ESPN2.
South Dakota Coyotes vs. South Dakota State Jackrabbits Betting Preview
In the Coyotes last matchup, they had no trouble getting past the Denver Pioneers, 76-58. Matt Mooney was the games high scorer with 20 points on 8-for-10 shooting. South Dakota dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a ridiculous effective field goal percentage of 0.600 (above their season average of 0.538) and a free throw rate of 0.182 (below their season average of 0.261). For those same stats, Denver was 0.351 and 0.164, respectively.
The Jackrabbits come in on a high note after blowing out the North Dakota State Bison in their last contest, 78-57. South Dakota State’s Mike Daum played a pivotal role with 19 points and 11 rebounds. South Dakota State played a nearly perfect game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 14.3 (below their season average of 25.5) and a turnover percentage of 10.5 (better than their season average of 12.5). North Dakota State recorded marks of 8.1 and 16.1, respectively, for those same stats.
This matchup pits one of the NCAA’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. South Dakota State currently ranks 12th in offensive efficiency and South Dakota is 10th in defensive efficiency. The Coyotes should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 28th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 15.9 percent). Conversely, the Jackrabbits force the fourth-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 14.9 percent).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Coyotes, it’s been Mooney, who has averaged 21.4 points and 1.2 steals, while the Jackrabbits have gotten great contributions from Daum (28.2 points and 12.8 rebounds).
These two teams have met twice already this season, each winning once. Mooney led both teams with 33 points in the most recent matchup, in which the Coyotes lost 76-72. The Jackrabbits dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 and a free throw rate of 0.197. The Coyotes put up marks of 22.2 and 0.148, respectively, for those same stats.
South Dakota Coyotes vs. South Dakota State Jackrabbits Free Prediction
Prediction: SU Winner – South Dakota State, ATS Winner – South Dakota State, O/U – Over
- The Coyotes rank 31st in assists allowed per game (11.2) while the Jackrabbits rank 51st (11.7).
- South Dakota State is 12th in the NCAA with 4.8 steals allowed per game while South Dakota is 24th with 5.0 steals allowed per game.
- South Dakota State ranks 33rd in three pointers attempted per game (26.3) while South Dakota ranks 249th (18.8).
- The Coyotes average 37.4 rebounds per game, which ranks 70th in the NCAA. The Jackrabbits rank 163rd in rebounds allowed per game (35.0).
- South Dakota State ranks 31st in blocks allowed per game (2.5) while South Dakota ranks 97th (3.2).
- The Jackrabbits average margin of victory in their last five games has been 11.6, up from 10.8 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Coyotes have scored an average of 79.8 points per game (1.0 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.6 points per game (0.4 above their season average).