The South Carolina State Bulldogs (9-8, 4-1 MEAC) will be at Echols Hall to square off against the Norfolk State Spartans (8-11, 4-0 MEAC) in a MEAC matchup. The game is scheduled to start at 6:30 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 25, 2020.
South Carolina State Bulldogs at Norfolk State Spartans Betting Odds
Both teams defeated their last opponent. The Spartans defeated the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks 62-52, while the Bulldogs beat the Maryland Eastern Shore Hawks 68-53.
South Carolina State dominated every stat category in the game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.404 (above their season average of 0.297) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 22.2 (below their season average of 28.9). For those same stats, Maryland Eastern Shore was 0.094 and 15.6, respectively. Norfolk State, meanwhile, dominated every facet of their game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.408 (above their season average of 0.224) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 37.8 (above their season average of 31.1). For those same stats, Maryland Eastern Shore had marks of 0.200 and 30.0, respectively. Tyrese Jenkins had a good game for Norfolk State, recording 19 points. South Carolina State, meanwhile, was lifted by Ian Kinard, who put up 12 points and nine rebounds.
The Spartans dominated this series last year, taking both games. In the last contest, Norfolk State won 78-73. The Spartans’ turnover percentage was their biggest strength over the Bulldogs. Norfolk State had a rate of 10.0, while South Carolina State posted a mark of 20.6. This is the first time these teams will battle this year.
Looking at effective field goal percentage, Norfolk State figures to have a considerable edge. The Spartans defense ranks 76th in effective field goal percentage allowed (0.463), while the South Carolina State offense is ranked 211th in effective field goal percentage (0.493). It could also be a mistake-prone game for the offense of the Bulldogs, which ranks 274th in ball security (turnover percentage of 20.7 percent). They’ll be going up against the stingy defense of the Spartans, which forces the 38th-most turnovers in the country (23.2 percent).
South Carolina State vs. Norfolk State Free Pick
College Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Norfolk State, ATS Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Over
- Norfolk State ranks 117th in three pointers attempted per game (22.9) while South Carolina State ranks 276th (17.4).
- The Spartans rank 48th in steals allowed per game (5.6) while the Bulldogs rank 80th (6.1).
- Norfolk State ranks 142nd in assists per game (12.9) while South Carolina State ranks 167th in assists allowed per game (13.4).
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 73.0 points per game (4.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 65.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average).
- The Bulldogs have outscored opponents by an average of 5.4 points in their last five games. On the season, South Carolina State has lost by an average of 4.6 points.