The Norfolk State Spartans (10-17, 8-4 MEAC) welcome the South Carolina State Bulldogs (9-18, 5-7 MEAC) to Echols Hall as they attempt to lengthen their five-game home winning streak. Tip-off is set for 8 p.m. ET on Monday, February 19, 2018.
South Carolina State Bulldogs at Norfolk State Spartans ATS Preview
The Bulldogs lost to the Hampton Pirates in their last game, 79-66. South Carolina State’s Damani Applewhite recorded 14 points and six rebounds in the game. Hampton did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (23-29; 79.3 percent). South Carolina State, on the other hand, had a better turnover percentage (12.9 vs. 15.5).
In the Spartans last game, they defeated the Savannah State Tigers, 85-77. Norfolk State’s Steven Whitley was a key piece with 15 points, 10 assists and eight rebounds. The Spartans had an absurd offensive rebounding percentage of 42.5 (above their season average of 32.0) and held the Tigers to an effective field goal percentage of 0.392 (below their season average of 0.489).
There could be a fair amount of transition action in this matchup that showcases two of the nations more up-and-down teams. Norfolk State currently ranks 50th in possessions per game (72.7) and South Carolina State is 35th (73.4).
Whitley has been playing at a high level over the last five games for Norfolk State, averaging 14.6 points, 4.8 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Spartans won 78-54. The Spartans dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an absurd effective field goal percentage of 0.619 and a solid offensive rebounding percentage of 32.4. For those same stats, the Bulldogs were 0.343 and 21.4, respectively. Whitley was a top performer in the victory, with 16 points and six rebounds.
South Carolina State Bulldogs at Norfolk State Spartans Odds Prediction
Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Norfolk State, ATS Winner – Norfolk State, O/U – Over
- The Spartans rank 101st in blocks per game (3.6) while the Bulldogs rank 159th in blocks allowed per game (4.0).
- Norfolk State ranks 65th in rebounds per game (37.9) while South Carolina State ranks 260th in rebounds allowed per game (38.4).
- The Spartans rank 157th in assists per game (13.5) while the Bulldogs rank 264th (11.1).
- Norfolk State ranks 162nd in three pointers attempted per game (21.6) while South Carolina State ranks 258th (18.6).
- The Spartans have outscored opponents by an average of 5.6 points in their last five games. On the season, Norfolk State has lost by an average of 1.8 points.
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 77.8 points per game (5.4 above their season average) and allowed an average of 83.6 points per game (0.2 above their season average).