The Howard Bison (2-15, 0-3 MEAC) welcome the South Carolina State Bulldogs (6-8, 1-1 MEAC) to Burr Arena. The Bison look to snap their five-game losing streak. Action begins at 7:30 p.m. ET on Monday, January 13, 2020.
South Carolina State Bulldogs vs. Howard Bison ATS Odds
Both teams were beaten in their last matchup. The Bison fell to the Norfolk State Spartans, 71-63, while the Bulldogs were defeated by the Morgan State Bears, 77-63.
South Carolina State did a terrific job of getting to and converting from the free throw line (23-31; 74.2 percent) while Howard held Norfolk State to an effective field goal percentage of 0.464 (below the 0.555 mark opponents have averaged against Howard this season). Nate Garvey was a key piece for Howard with 17 points and five assists. Meanwhile, Damani Applewhite played well for South Carolina State, putting up 17 points and seven rebounds.
The Bison won the sole contest between these two teams last year, 71-67. Howard had a better effective field goal percentage (0.500 vs. 0.400). South Carolina State, meanwhile, had a much better offensive rebounding percentage (26.7 vs. 13.9). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
The aggressive South Carolina State offense might be living from the free throw line in this contest. The Bulldogs currently rank 11th in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.297, while Howard ranks 235th in FTA rate allowed (0.238).
South Carolina State Bulldogs vs. Howard Bison ATS Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Howard, ATS Winner – Howard, O/U – Under
- South Carolina State ranks 111th in rebounds allowed per game (34.4) while Howard ranks 259th (40.2).
- The Bulldogs rank 158th in assists allowed per game (13.4) while the Bison rank 246th (19.2).
- Howard ranks 190th in three pointers attempted per game (20.6) while South Carolina State ranks 262nd (17.7).
- During their last five games, the Bulldogs have scored an average of 66.2 points per game (2.3 below their season average) and allowed an average of 70.0 points per game (6.8 below their season average).
- The Bison’s average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 14.6, up from 13.9 for the season.