Big East foes will collide when the St. John’s Red Storm (14-14, 3-12 Big East) challenge the Seton Hall Pirates (19-9, 8-7 Big East) at Madison Square Garden. Tip-off is set for 12 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
Seton Hall Pirates vs. St. John’s Red Storm Free Preview
The last time the Pirates played, they were victorious over the Providence Friars, 89-77. With 14 points and 11 rebounds, Seton Hall’s Angel Delgado played well. Seton Hall dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a fantastic free throw rate of 0.453 (above their season average of 0.227) and a turnover percentage of 10.5 (better than their season average of 15.7). Providence was 0.129 and 14.6, respectively, for those same stats.
The Red Storm are hoping for a better outcome after their 85-73 loss to the Marquette Golden Eagles in their last contest. With 19 points, seven rebounds and six assists, St. John’s Shamorie Ponds put together a solid performance. Marquette held the Red Storm to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.6 (below their season average of 25.0). St. John’s, on the other hand, did a great job of making free throws (10-14; 71.4 percent).
Seton Hall could struggle to create turnovers. St. John’s ranks 28th in the NCAA at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.1 percent), while Seton Hall forces the 192nd-most turnovers (18.8 percent). Furthermore, the Pirates are among the NCAA’s best on the offensive backboards, ranking 25th in offensive rebounding percentage (34.7 percent). The Red Storm, meanwhile, rank 298th in defensive rebounding percentage (68.2 percent).
Both teams have had a player trending in the right direction over their last five games. For the Pirates, it’s been Myles Powell, who has averaged 20.4 points, while the Red Storm have gotten solid contributions from Ponds (32.0 points, 5.2 rebounds, 5.0 assists and 3.0 steals).
These teams have already met once this season. The Pirates won 75-70. The Pirates dominated nearly every facet of the game. They had a free throw rate of 0.246 and a phenomenal offensive rebounding percentage of 42.1. For those same stats, the Red Storm had marks of 0.119 and 29.4, respectively. Tariq Owens had a double-double in the loss, with 19 points and 14 rebounds.
Seton Hall Pirates vs. St. John’s Red Storm Odds Prediction
Free Pick: SU Winner – St. John’s, ATS Winner – St. John’s, O/U – Over
- The Red Storm rank 14th in blocks per game (5.4) while the Pirates rank 113th in blocks allowed per game (3.5).
- St. John’s ranks ninth in steals per game (8.6) while Seton Hall ranks 92nd (6.7).
- Seton Hall ranks 58th in rebounds per game (38.0) while St. John’s ranks 287th in rebounds allowed per game (39.5).
- The Pirates rank 37th in assists per game (16.0) while the Red Storm rank 180th in assists allowed per game (14.1).
- Seton Hall ranks 144th in three pointers allowed per game (21.9) while St. John’s ranks 257th (25.0).
- The Red Storm’s average margin of victory in their last five games has been 1.0, down from 1.3 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 85.2 points per game (5.6 above their season average) and allowed an average of 85.4 points per game (11.9 above their season average).