A 12-game home winning streak is on the line for the 21st-ranked Marquette Golden Eagles (13-3, 2-1 Big East) when they go head-to-head with the Seton Hall Pirates (12-4, 3-1 Big East) at Fiserv Forum. The game gets underway at 2 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Seton Hall Pirates vs. Marquette Golden Eagles Betting Odds
Both teams won a tight one over their last opponent. The Golden Eagles defeated the Creighton Bluejays 106-104, while the Pirates beat the Butler Bulldogs 76-75.
Seton Hall dominated nearly every stat category in the game. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.489 (above their season average of 0.265) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.564 (above their season average of 0.510). For those same stats, Butler was 0.269 and 0.425, respectively. The Golden Eagles, meanwhile, held the Bluejays to an offensive rebounding percentage of 17.1 (below their season average of 27.8) and had a free throw rate of 0.407 (above their season average of 0.250). Markus Howard had a good outing for Marquette with 53 points and six assists. Seton Hall, meanwhile, was lifted by Myles Powell, who finished with 31 points.
The Golden Eagles dominated this series last year, winning both contests. In the most recent game, Marquette won 88-85. The Golden Eagles’ 30.3 offensive rebounding percentage was their biggest strength over the Pirates, who had a mark of 22.0. This is the first time these teams will go head-to-head this year.
This contest should be a battle of contrasting paces. Marquette prefers an up-and-down style of play (72nd in possessions per game), while Seton Hall likes to grind-it-out (186th in possessions per game). The Pirates should be expected to protect the ball well. They rank 34th at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.1 percent). Conversely, the Golden Eagles force the 49th-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents’ turnover percentage of 16.9 percent).
Seton Hall Pirates vs. Marquette Golden Eagles Odds Pick
College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Marquette, ATS Winner – Seton Hall, O/U – Under
- Marquette ranks 19th in rebounds per game (40.8) while Seton Hall ranks 176th (34.8).
- The Golden Eagles rank 50th in assists allowed per game (11.4) while the Pirates rank 120th (13.1).
- Marquette averages 24.9 three pointers per game, which ranks 75th in the NCAA. Seton Hall ranks 116th in three pointers allowed per game (22.1).
- The Pirates rank 27th in steals allowed per game (5.2) while the Golden Eagles rank 143rd (7.3).
- Marquette ranks 33rd in blocks allowed per game (2.6) while Seton Hall ranks 130th (4.2).
- The Pirates’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 3.2, down from 5.4 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Golden Eagles have scored an average of 86.4 points per game (6.2 above their season average) and allowed an average of 74.2 points per game (5.2 above their season average).