The fifth-ranked Butler Bulldogs (15-1, 3-0 Big East) and their phenomenal offense welcome the 18th-ranked Seton Hall Pirates (12-4, 4-0 Big East) and their tremendous defense. The game starts at 6:30 p.m. ET on Wednesday, January 15, 2020.
Seton Hall Pirates vs. Butler Bulldogs Betting Odds
Both teams defeated their last opponent. The Bulldogs defeated the Providence Friars 70-58, while the Pirates beat the Marquette Golden Eagles 69-55.
Seton Hall played a perfect game. They had a phenomenally low turnover percentage of 8.2 (better than their season average of 17.4) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 24.3 (below their season average of 28.7). Marquette was 19.1 and 15.8, respectively, for those same stats. Butler, on the other hand, played a nearly flawless game. They had a fantastic effective field goal percentage of 0.622 (above their season average of 0.541) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 40.0 (above their season average of 27.6). For those same stats, Providence was 0.367 and 24.4, respectively. Kamar Baldwin fueled Butler with 17 points and seven rebounds. Seton Hall rallied around Myles Powell, who had 23 points and seven rebounds.
This was a highly competitive series last year, as the teams split their two games last season. In the last matchup, the Bulldogs won 70-68. Butler’s free throw rate was their biggest strength over Seton Hall. The Bulldogs had a rate of 0.113, while the Pirates posted a mark of 0.069. This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
This matchup pits one of the country’s top offenses against one of its elite defenses. Butler currently ranks 56th in offensive efficiency and Seton Hall is 35th in defensive efficiency.
Seton Hall Pirates vs. Butler Bulldogs Odds Pick
Pick: SU Winner – Butler, ATS Winner – Seton Hall, O/U – Under
- Seton Hall ranks 43rd in steals per game (8.2) while Butler ranks 221st (4.7).
- The Bulldogs rank 23rd in assists allowed per game (9.9) while the Pirates rank 39th (10.5).
- The Bulldogs rank third in rebounds allowed per game (28.3) while the Pirates rank 181st (36.4).
- Seton Hall ranks 10th in blocks per game (6.1) while Butler ranks 159th (2.5).
- During their last five games, the Pirates have scored an average of 75.8 points per game (0.7 above their season average) and allowed an average of 61.8 points per game (2.3 below their season average).
- The Bulldogs’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 13.6, down from 14.4 for the season.