The Hampton Pirates (14-14, 9-4 MEAC) look to lengthen their five-game winning streak against the Savannah State Tigers (13-14, 10-2 MEAC) at Hampton Convocation Center. Action starts at 7 p.m. ET on Monday, February 19, 2018.
Savannah State Tigers at Hampton Pirates Free Preview
The Tigers lost to the Norfolk State Spartans in their last outing, 85-77. Zach Sellers had a solid game for Savannah State, recording 14 points and five rebounds. Norfolk State had an offensive rebounding percentage of 42.5 (above their season average of 32.0). Savannah State, on the other hand, did a terrific job of making free throws (19-23; 82.6 percent).
The last time the Pirates played, they beat the South Carolina State Bulldogs, 79-66. Kalin Fisher led the way for Hampton, recording 14 points, six rebounds and five assists. The Pirates made 23 of their 29 free throws (79.3 percent) and held the Bulldogs to an effective field goal percentage of 0.373 (below their season average of 0.473).
There should be a fair amount of transition offense in this battle that features two of the nations more up-tempo teams. Hampton currently ranks 19th in possessions per game (74.4) and Savannah State is first (83.8). The Tigers should have an edge in terms of ball protection. They rank 52nd at avoiding errors (turnover percentage of 16.7 percent). Conversely, the Pirates force the 91st-fewest turnovers in the NCAA (opponents turnover percentage of 17.7 percent).
Alante Fenner has really been playing well over the last five games for Savannah State, averaging 21.0 points and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The Tigers won 103-101. Savannah State did a fantastic job of getting and making free throws (27-37; 73.0 percent). Hampton, on the other hand, had a better effective field goal percentage (0.579 vs. 0.487). Despite the loss, Malique Trent-Street had a standout performance in the game, putting up 28 points, six rebounds and five assists.
Savannah State Tigers vs. Hampton Pirates Prediction
Free College Basketball Pick: SU Winner – Hampton, ATS Winner – Hampton, O/U – Over
- The Tigers rank fourth in steals per game (9.7) while the Pirates rank 170th (5.6).
- Hampton averages 3.6 blocks per game, which ranks 100th in the NCAA. Savannah State ranks 149th in blocks allowed per game (3.9).
- Hampton ranks 13th in rebounds per game (40.1) while Savannah State ranks 293rd in rebounds allowed per game (47.8).
- The Tigers rank first in three pointers attempted per game (40.5) while the Pirates rank 264th (18.4).
- Hampton ranks 75th in assists per game (15.1) while Savannah State ranks 269th in assists allowed per game (20.3).
- The Pirates average margin of victory in their last five games has been 15.2, up from 3.6 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Tigers have scored an average of 100.0 points per game (13.9 above their season average) and allowed an average of 96.8 points per game (2.7 above their season average).