The Savannah State Tigers (4-12, 1-1 MEAC) will be at the Al Lawson Center to challenge the Florida A&M Rattlers (4-13, 1-1 MEAC) in a MEAC matchup. Action starts at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Savannah State Tigers vs. Florida A&M Rattlers Betting Odds
In their last contest, the Rattlers were beaten by the Norfolk State Spartans, 72-62, while the Tigers won a close one over the Morgan State Bears, 88-87.
Savannah State’s 0.568 effective field goal percentage was their largest advantage over Morgan State, who had a mark of 0.493. The Tigers’ mark was above their season average of 0.451, while the Bears’ was below the 0.586 mark opponents have averaged against Savannah State this season. Florida A&M, meanwhile, had a better turnover percentage (17.2 vs. 20.4). D.J. Jones led the way for Florida A&M, contributing 14 points and six rebounds. Tyrell Harper played a key role for Savannah State with 11 points, 13 rebounds and seven assists.
The Tigers won the lone game between these two teams last season, 107-100. Savannah State’s 0.662 effective field goal percentage was its largest advantage over Florida A&M, who had a rate of 0.527. This is the first time these teams will meet this year.
Points at the line might be rare for Florida A&M in this contest. The Rattlers rank 333rd in the NCAA with a free throw attempt (FTA) rate of 0.169, while Savannah State ranks 77th in FTA rate allowed (0.200). It will also be a tale of two tempos as the up-tempo Tigers rank third in possessions per game, while the slower-paced Rattlers rank 329th.
Savannah State at Florida A&M Pick
Basketball Tip: SU Winner – Florida A&M, O/U – Over
- Savannah State ranks first in three pointers attempted per game (42.5) while Florida A&M ranks 267th (15.6).
- The Rattlers rank 43rd in steals per game (8.0) while the Tigers rank 164th in steals allowed per game (7.8).
- The Tigers rank 27th in rebounds per game (40.3) while the Rattlers rank 253rd (29.4).
- Savannah State ranks 50th in assists per game (15.8) while Florida A&M ranks 184th (12.1).
- The Tigers’ average margin of defeat in their last five games has been 20.6, up from 20.5 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Rattlers have scored an average of 62.4 points per game (0.8 above their season average) and allowed an average of 73.0 points per game (2.4 above their season average).