The Santa Clara Broncos (14-3, 1-1 WCC) will be at University Credit Union Pavilion to square off with the Saint Mary’s Gaels (15-3, 2-1 WCC) in a WCC matchup. The game starts at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, January 11, 2020, and will air on ESPNU.
Santa Clara Broncos at Saint Mary’s Gaels ATS Odds
In their last matchup, the Gaels edged the BYU Cougars, 87-84, while the Broncos were blown out by the San Francisco Dons, 80-61.
Saint Mary’s dominated nearly every stat category in the contest. They had an extraordinary free throw rate of 0.323 (above their season average of 0.236) and an offensive rebounding percentage of 33.3 (above their season average of 27.1). For those same stats, BYU put up marks of 0.209 and 27.0, respectively. Santa Clara, on the other hand, forced San Francisco into a turnover percentage of 20.4 (above their season average of 15.2). Saint Mary’s’ Jordan Ford had a good game, contributing 24 points. Meanwhile, DJ Mitchell was a key piece for Santa Clara with 21 points and six rebounds.
The Gaels dominated this series last year, emerging victorious in both games. In the most recent matchup, Saint Mary’s won 66-55. Saint Mary’s out-rebounded Santa Clara. The Gaels had more offensive rebounds (13 vs. 3), defensive rebounds (26 vs. 21) and total rebounds (39 vs. 24). This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams.
Second-chance opportunities might be hard to come by for Saint Mary’s in this matchup. The Gaels are among the NCAA’s elite on the offensive glass, ranking 222nd in offensive rebounding percentage at 27.4 percent. Meanwhile, Santa Clara ranks 76th in the NCAA at corralling defensive rebounds with a defensive rebounding percentage of 74.8 percent. Conflicting paces will be on display in this contest. The fast-breaking Broncos rank 57th in possessions per game, while the more half-court oriented Gaels rank 298th.
Santa Clara vs. Saint Mary’s Betting Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Saint Mary’s, ATS Winner – Saint Mary’s, O/U – Under
- Saint Mary’s ranks first in steals allowed per game (4.0) while Santa Clara ranks 146th (7.2).
- The Gaels rank 15th in rebounds allowed per game (30.3) while the Broncos rank 98th (34.0).
- Saint Mary’s is 30th in the NCAA with 18.1 three pointers allowed per game while Santa Clara is 39th with 18.6 three pointers allowed per game.
- The Broncos rank 13th in assists per game (17.1) while the Gaels rank 143rd (13.0).
- Santa Clara ranks 47th in blocks per game (4.3) while Saint Mary’s ranks 158th (2.3).
- The Gaels’ average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.4, down from 12.7 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Broncos have scored an average of 66.6 points per game (8.1 below their season average) and allowed an average of 54.2 points per game (8.9 below their season average).