MWC foes will clash when the Utah State Aggies (7-6) clash with the San Jose State Spartans (3-8) at Dee Glen Smith Spectrum. The Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 133.5 points with Utah State set as a 12-point favorite. Tip-off is set for 9 p.m. ET on Wednesday, December 27, 2017.
San Jose State Spartans vs. Utah State Aggies Free Preview
The Spartans defeated the Santa Clara Broncos in their last contest, 75-63. With 15 points and 13 rebounds, San Jose State’s Keith Fisher III put together a solid game. The Spartans made 26 of their 33 free throws (78.8 percent) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.544 (above their season average of 0.471).
The last time the Aggies played, they topped the Youngstown State Penguins, 91-74. Utah State was led by Quinn Taylor, who recorded 13 points and 10 rebounds. Utah State played a nearly perfect game. They had a phenomenal free throw rate of 0.442 (above their season average of 0.255) and an effective field goal percentage of 0.654 (above their season average of 0.519). For those same stats, Youngstown State recorded marks of 0.271 and 0.492, respectively.
It could be a tough game for Utah State on the offensive glass. The Aggies currently rank 205th in offensive rebounding percentage (28.9 percent), while San Jose State ranks ninth in defensive rebounding percentage (77.9 percent).
Both of these teams have typically finished under the projected point total. Games involving San Jose State have gone under 70.0 percent of the time, while Utah State games have finished under 60.0 percent of the time. The Aggies hold the clear advantage straight up (SU) (7-6 vs. 3-8), but the Spartans have been better against the spread (ATS) (5-5 vs. 4-6).
This will be the first matchup of the year between these two teams, after the Aggies won both matchups last season. In the last game, Utah State won 90-64. Utah State had a much better effective field goal percentage (0.655 vs. 0.422). San Jose State, on the other hand, did an excellent job of converting from the charity stripe (21-27; 77.8 percent).
San Jose State Spartans at Utah State Aggies ATS Prediction
Predictions: SU Winner – Utah State, ATS Winner – San Jose State, O/U – Under
- On the road, San Jose State is 3-3 ATS with 4 unders and 2 overs.
- At home, Utah State is 1-3 ATS with 2 overs and 2 unders.
- Utah State ranks 94th in three pointers attempted per game (23.6) while San Jose State ranks 267th (14.5).
- The Spartans rank 13th in rebounds allowed per game (30.4) while the Aggies rank 116th (34.5).
- San Jose State is 41st in the nation with 2.6 blocks allowed per game while Utah State is 53rd with 2.8 blocks allowed per game.
- Utah State is 0-4 ATS with 2 unders, 1 over and 1 push in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Jose State is 2-3 ATS with 4 unders and 1 over.
- The Aggies average margin of victory in their last five games has been 7.0, up from 5.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Spartans have scored an average of 61.2 points per game (5.9 below their season average) and allowed an average of 67.4 points per game (1.9 below their season average).