Brent Burns, Logan Couture, and the San Jose Sharks will do battle against Connor McDavid, Leon Draisaitl, and the Edmonton Oilers at Rogers Place for a Pacific Division tilt. This one will get underway at 4 p.m. ET on Saturday, December 29 and it can be viewed live on Sportsnet West.
San Jose Sharks at Edmonton Oilers Odds
The Sharks (-130) are favored over the Oilers (+110) and the Over/Under (O/U) has been set at 6 goals (-120 for the over, +100 for the under).
San Jose is 20-19 straight up (SU) and has lost 9.9 units for moneyline bettors thus far. Through 39 regular season outings, 22 of its games have gone over the total, while 16 have gone under and just one has pushed. This 2018-19 Sharks team is 8-11 SU on the road.
San Jose has converted on 23.3 percent of its power play chances this season, a figure that’s good enough for eighth-best in the NHL. On the other hand, it has the fourth-best penalty kill in the league, and it has successfully killed off 84.1 percent of all penalties..
Boasting a .899 save percentage and 24.6 saves per game, Martin Jones (16-12-4) has been the best option in goal for San Jose this season. If San Jose decides to rest him, however, head coach Peter Deboer might roll with Aaron Dell (5-7-3 record, .904 save percentage, 2.69 goals against average).
On the other bench, Edmonton is 18-19 straight up (SU) and has lost 1.4 units for moneyline bettors thus far. 18 of its contests have gone under the total, while 15 have gone over and just four have pushed. The team’s 10-8 SU at home this season.
The Oilers have converted on just 21.7 percent of their power play opportunities this season, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, its penalty kill is ranked 27th overall, and it’s successfully killed off 75.9 percent of all penalties.
Mikko Koskinen (26.6 saves per game) has been the top option in the crease for the Oilers. Koskinen has 11 wins, eight losses, and one OT loss and has registered a .918 save percentage and 2.52 goals against average this season.
San Jose Sharks vs. Edmonton Oilers Free Picks
Prediction: SU Winner – Oilers, O/U – Under
- A majority (65.0 percent) of San Jose’s wins have come by two or more goals, and the team is 13-9 overall in such games. 7 of Edmonton’s wins (38.9 percent) have been decided by two or more goals.
- The Sharks are 6-4 SU in games where they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Oilers are 8-9 SU when they serve more minutes than the opposition.
- Edmonton may have an advantage if it’s a tight one late. The team’s 11-4 in games decided by one goal, while San Jose is 7-10 in such games.
- San Jose skaters have averaged 12.4 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 9.4 giveaways per game (ranked 13th).
- Edmonton has averaged 15.8 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 12.3 giveaways per game (ranked 27th).
- The Oilers this season have tallied the fifth-most hits in the NHL (26.3 per game), but that number has jumped up to 33.6 over their last five home games.