Brent Burns, Timo Meier, and the San Jose Sharks will do battle against Sean Couturier, Travis Konecny, and the Philadelphia Flyers at the Wells Fargo Center in a cross-country matchup. This one will get underway at 7 p.m. ET on Tuesday, February 25 and it can be watched live on NBC Sports Philadelphia.
San Jose Sharks vs. Philadelphia Flyers Odds
San Jose (+175) is playing the role of underdog to Philadelphia (-205), and the oddsmakers have set the Over/Under (O/U) at 6 goals (-120 for the under, +100 for the over).
Philadelphia is 35-27 straight-up (SU) and has earned moneyline bettors 7.4 units this season. That early-season winning percentage is a welcomed improvement compared to how the team performed during last year’s regular season (37-45). Through 62 regular season outings, 33 of its games have gone over the total, while 28 have gone under and just one has pushed. The team’s 21-9 SU at home this year.
The Flyers have converted on 20.1 percent of their power play chances this year, a figure that’s right around league average. On the other hand, their penalty kill is ranked 12th overall, and they’ve successfully killed off 81.8 percent of all penalties.
With a .909 save percentage and 22.6 saves per game, Carter Hart (19-18-3) has been the top option in goal for the Flyers this year. If the Flyers choose to give him a rest, however, Philadelphia may go with Brian Elliott (15-15-15 record, .899 save percentage, 2.90 goals against average).
San Jose has lost 11.4 units for moneyline bettors this year and is currently 26-36 straight up (SU). Through 62 regular season contests, 34 of its games have gone under the total, while 26 have gone over and just two have pushed. As the away team, the Sharks are 12-20 SU.
The Sharks have converted on just 16.2 percent of their power play opportunities this year, a mark that places them in the bottom-five overall among NHL teams. On the other hand, its penalty kill unit is ranked first overall and it’s successfully defended 86.2 percent of all opponent power plays.
Martin Jones (25.0 saves per game) has been the primary option in the net for San Jose. Jones has 14 wins, 22 losses, and two OT losses to his credit, and has registered a .894 save percentage and 3.11 goals against average this year.
San Jose Sharks at Philadelphia Flyers Betting Predictions
NHL Pick: SU Winner – Sharks, O/U – Over
- Over Philadelphia’s last ten outings, nine of them have been decided by two or more goals (the team is 6-3 in those games).
- The Sharks are 12-17 SU when they serve more penalty minutes than their opponent while the Flyers are 11-6 SU in games where they spend more time in the box than the opposition.
- Philadelphia is 5-5 in games decided by a shootout this season while San Jose is 2-1 in shootouts.
- San Jose skaters have averaged 10.0 giveaways over its last five home games, a rise over its season average of 9.0 giveaways per game (the 11th-fewest in the league).
- Philadelphia is ranked 14th this season with 9.5 giveaways per game. That figure has trended down lately, however, as the team’s averaged 7.2 giveaways over its last 10 games and 5.6 giveaways over its last five.