The Saint Mary’s Gaels (22-6, 9-4 WCC) close out their home schedule at University Credit Union Pavilion against the San Diego Toreros (9-19, 2-11 WCC). Action starts at 8 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 22, 2020.
San Diego Toreros vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels ATS Odds
In their last contest, the Gaels were victorious over the Loyola Marymount Lions, 57-51, while the Toreros lost a tough one against the BYU Cougars, 72-71.
Saint Mary’s dominated every facet of the game. They had an offensive rebounding percentage of 23.3 (below their season average of 26.6) and a free throw rate of 0.327 (above their season average of 0.236). For those same stats, Loyola Marymount put up marks of 19.4 and 0.277, respectively. San Diego, on the other hand, held BYU to an offensive rebounding percentage of 20.0 (below the 26.4 mark opponents have averaged against San Diego this season). Malik Fitts had a good outing for Saint Mary’s with 20 points and six rebounds. San Diego rallied around Finn Sullivan, who contributed 16 points, six rebounds and five assists.
In their first matchup this season, Fitts led the Gaels to a 66-60 victory. He notched a double-double with 17 points and 14 rebounds. One of Saint Mary’s’ biggest advantages was getting to the free throw line. They made 28 trips to the line, while San Diego went 23 times.
Saint Mary’s should have the advantage on the offensive side of the ball. The Gaels rank fourth in offensive efficiency, while the Toreros rank 152nd in defensive efficiency. Additionally, the Toreros, who rank 284th in free throw attempt (FTA) rate (0.197), will face off against the Gaels, who rank 59th in opponents’ FTA rate (0.187).
San Diego Toreros vs. Saint Mary’s Gaels Odds Pick
Basketball Prediction: SU Winner – Saint Mary’s, ATS Winner – Saint Mary’s, O/U – Under
- Saint Mary’s ranks first in steals allowed per game (4.0) while San Diego ranks 175th (7.1).
- The Gaels allow the 23rd-fewest three pointers per game (17.7) while the Toreros rank 55th (19.3).
- The Gaels rank sixth in assists allowed per game (9.4) while the Toreros rank 134th (12.5).
- Saint Mary’s ranks eighth in rebounds allowed per game (29.8) while San Diego ranks 124th (34.5).
- During their last five games, the Toreros have scored an average of 69.2 points per game (5.3 above their season average) and allowed an average of 71.4 points per game (2.9 above their season average).
- The Gaels have been outscored by an average of 2.4 points in their last five games. For the season, Saint Mary’s has defeated opponents by an average of 9.6 points.