The San Francisco Dons (17-13, 9-8 WCC) and San Diego Toreros (17-12, 8-9 WCC) will go head-to-head at War Memorial Gymnasium to bring the regular season to a conclusion. San Francisco is a 4-point favorite on the opening line, while the Over/Under (O/U) for the game opened at 131.5 points. Tip-off is scheduled for 10 p.m. ET on Saturday, February 24, 2018.
San Diego Toreros vs. San Francisco Dons Odds Preview
The last time the Toreros played, they fell to the No. 6 Gonzaga Bulldogs, 77-72. Olin Carter III had a solid game for San Diego, leading both teams in scoring with 21 points on 7-for-13 shooting. Gonzaga made good use of their 25 trips to the charity stripe, making 21 of them (84.0 percent). San Diego, meanwhile, was 17-20 (85.0 percent).
The Dons hope to maintain momentum after beating the Pacific Tigers in their last outing, 84-74. San Francisco was lifted by Frankie Ferrari, who was the teams high scorer with 15 points on 4-for-11 shooting. The Dons held the Tigers to an offensive rebounding percentage of 15.2 (below their season average of 31.3) and had an effective field goal percentage of 0.558 (above their season average of 0.492).
Half-court execution will be at a premium when a pair of the NCAA’s slowest-paced teams clash. San Francisco currently ranks 299th in possessions per game (66.9) and San Diego is 316th (66.3). Moreover, the Toreros seventh-ranked defense (effective field goal percentage allowed of 0.448) will go head-to-head against the Dons 257th-ranked offense (effective field goal percentage of 0.494).
Of San Diego’s 24 games with betting action, 13 have finished under the projected point total, while 15 of San Francisco’s 26 games have finished under the projected point total. Both teams have decent straight up (SU) records (17-12 for San Diego; 17-13 for San Francisco), but the Dons hold a slight advantage against the spread (ATS). San Francisco is 12-14 ATS, while the Toreros are 11-12-1.
Ferrari has taken his game to another level over the last five games for San Francisco, averaging 17.0 points, 4.4 assists and 1.2 steals per game.
These teams have already met once this season. The two teams combined to score 136 points in that game, which was over the projected point total of 130. The Toreros won 73-63, covering as 3-point favorites. San Diego did a terrific job of getting and making free throws (21-28; 75.0 percent). San Francisco, meanwhile, had a much better turnover percentage (10.1 vs. 17.7). In the victory, Isaiah Pineiro led all scorers with 23 points.
San Diego Toreros at San Francisco Dons Free Prediction
Pick: SU Winner – San Diego, ATS Winner – San Diego, O/U – Under
- The Toreros are second in the nation with 9.1 assists allowed per game while the Dons are 14th with 10.3 assists allowed per game.
- San Diego is fourth in the nation with 15.8 three pointers allowed per game while San Francisco is 10th with 16.8 three pointers allowed per game.
- San Diego is 5-6 ATS on the road with 6 unders and 5 overs.
- San Francisco is 5-8 ATS at home with 8 unders and 5 overs.
- San Diego averages 4.0 blocks per game, which ranks 65th in the nation. San Francisco ranks 161st in blocks allowed per game (4.1).
- The Dons rank 169th in rebounds per game (34.9) while the Toreros rank 244th (33.1).
- San Diego ranks 48th in steals allowed per game (5.4) while San Francisco ranks 64th (5.7).
- San Francisco is 4-1 ATS with 3 unders and 2 overs in their last five games.
- Over their last five games, San Diego is 2-3 ATS with 3 overs and 2 unders.
- The Dons average margin of victory in their last five games has been 5.2, up from 1.2 for the season.
- During their last five games, the Toreros have scored an average of 66.8 points per game (2.6 below their season average) and allowed an average of 68.4 points per game (3.0 above their season average).